Cards Commuter Challenge
Aug 26, 2019 12:00 AM
Sep 30, 2019 11:55 PM
|Contact Name||Justin Mog|
|Add event to calendar||
Record your trips throughout the Cards Commuter Challenge (August 26 - September 30) and each week you'll have the chance to win $250 worth of fabulous weekly prizes or be the Grand Prize Winner who takes the most trips by means other than driving alone and you'll receive the $250 grand prize!
Step 1: Join the Challenge online!
- Students: Register free on to the Cardinal Directions trip-finding and carpool-matching platform
- Faculty & Staff: Register free on the Every Commute Counts platform.
Step 2: Challenge yourself (and your friends!) to get to campus differently!
Try these life-affirming alternatives to the expense, road-rage, pollution, and parking hassles of driving alone:
- BUS: Ride any TARC route free with UofL ID (just swipe your card as you board - any time, anywhere).
- CARDpool: Organize your own carpool with friends, family, colleagues, or classmates; or find rides & offer rides online through Cardinal Directions or Every Commute Counts.
- WALK, SKATE, or BIKE: Get your workout just by getting where you need to go under your own power! If you don't have your own bike, borrow one free from UofL Bikeshare or join LouVelo citywide bikeshare for half-price with your @louisville.edu address ($7.50/month gets you unlimited trips of up to one hour without any additional charges).
- VANPOOL: Employees can get in on a vanpool, get your ride home guaranteed, or enter to win additional monthly prizes with Every Commute Counts.
* NOTE: Though fun and certainly better than driving, getting around via lazy, coal-powered electric scooters does not qualify for this Challenge. Skip the dirty electricity and use your muscles to qualify!
Explore all of UofL's Sustainable Transportation Options.
Step 3: Log your trips to win!
Connect with us, trash-talk, and post about your commute on Facebook.
RESULTS:Cards Commuter Challenge saves $1,999 and 4,772 lbs. of carbon pollution!!
The 39 participants in the inaugural Cards Commuter Challenge 8/26-9/30 logged 1,422 alternative commute trips, reducing 6,889mi of car travel, saving $1,999, and preventing 4,772 lbs. of carbon pollution. Our student winner, Rusty Crofts, saved $199, burned 28,840 calories, and kept 392 lbs CO2 out of the air through 150 bus & walking trips of 596mi. Our employee winner, Dental Clinic Associate, Lynette Mercado-McQuiston logged 52 vanpool trips of 2,350mi. Kudos for thinking outside the car.