UofL's Green Threads Program Reaches Over 100 Faculty
UofL's Sustainability Council is delighted to welcome this year's Green Threads: Sustainability Across the Curriculum faculty cohort! On August 15, 2023, eleven faculty from across the university participated in our annual day-long workshop designed to increase and enrich the university's sustainability course offerings by weaving themes of sustainability into new or existing courses across disciplines. See photos.
The workshop emphasizes Engaged Learning strategies, Community Engagement, and using the Campus as a Living Laboratory for investigating sustainability challenges and solutions.
With this year's cohort, the Green Threads program celebrates graduating over 100 faculty and instructors, who have gone on to teach hundreds of sustainability-related and sustainability-focused courses to tens of thousands of students since the program launched in 2009!
The 2023 cohort includes a broad representation from across many disciplines:
|Name||Green Threads Year||Unit||Dept.||Courses Interwoven with Green|
|Katherine Coxemail@example.com||2023||A&S||Fine Arts||ART 581/582/584/683 Adv. Sections of Fibers|
|Tami Harboltfirstname.lastname@example.org||2023||A&S||Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies||WGST 391 Feminist Environmentalism|
|Laura Krauseremail@example.com||2023||A&S||Geography & Environmental Sciences||HON 202-01 Parks and Recreation|
|Sherri Brownfirstname.lastname@example.org||2023||CEHD||Special Education, Early Childhood & Prevention Science||EDTP 326-96 Elementary Science Methods Field Experience
EDTP 324-97 Science Methods P-5
|Jasmine Whitesideemail@example.com||2023||A&S||Sociology||SOC 45O & SOC 6xx Special Topics: The Sociology of Poverty|
|Tharshikka Vickneswaranfirstname.lastname@example.org||2023||Engineering||Civil & Environmental Engineering||CEE 681 Green Engineering and Sustainability|
|Charlie Zhangemail@example.com||2023||A&S||Geography & Environmental Sciences||GEOG 328 Urban Geography|
|Jeffery Mastersfirstname.lastname@example.org||2023||A&S||Biology||BIOL 243 Experimental Biology II: Organismal Biology|
|Rachel Piggemail@example.com||2023||A&S||Biology||BIOL 242 Diversity of Life|
|Joseph Turnerfirstname.lastname@example.org||2023||A&S||English||HON 436/HON 446-02 The New Mythology|
|Rachel Singelemail@example.com||2018, 2019, 2021, 2022 & 2023||A&S||Fine Art||ART 341 – Introduction to Printmaking; ART 541 – Professional Practice in Printmaking; ART 543 - Directed Study in Printmaking; ART 642 - Professional Practice in Printmaking|
Many thanks to all of the incredible co-facilitators who came together to make the 2023 workshop such a resounding success:
- Brent Fryrear, Partnership for a Green City
- Jessica Eggleston, Instructor, Sustainability, School of Public Health & Information Sciences, and
- Urban & Public Affairs
- Tamara Sluss, Director, Interdisciplinary Master’s in Sustainability
- Justin Mog, Assistant to the Provost for Sustainability Initiatives
- Erica Gabbard, Director, Experiential Learning, UofL’s Center for Engaged Learning (CEL)
- Claude Stephens, Dir. Outreach & Regenerative Design, Bernheim Arboretum & Research Forest
- Henry Cunningham, Director of Community Engagement
- Brian Barnes, EcoReps Director
- Robin Frederick, Masters in Sustainability student
- Green Threads Alumni Panel facilitated by Scott LaJoie with Eve Polley, Rachel Singel, Katina Kulow, and Tyler Mahoney
- Jen Anderson, Acting Co-Associate Director of Teaching and Learning, Delphi Center
Learn more about the program, discover all 101 faculty and instructors who have participated over the years, and find resources for teaching about sustainability on the Green Threads webpage.