UofL Sustainability Week kicks-off today with Arbor Day!
Friday, Oct. 23rd
10am, HSC at Abraham Flexner Way & Preston
11am, Online via Microsoft Teams
Noon, Garden Commons (SW corner of Strickler Hall)
Come help us restore Louisville's shrinking tree canopy. Join us for a celebration of UofL’s on-going commitment to trees and our status as a Tree Campus USA (for 10 years running!).
Help us plant new trees on campus!
10am at Abraham Flexner Way & Preston
12:30pm meet at the Garden Commons (SW corner of Strickler Hall)
- At 11am, join us online for a tree-themed Sustainability Roundtable: Green Forests Work
- A limited number of free native tree saplings will be available to plant in your yard or neighborhood! "Treecipients" can take home a dogwood, Kentucky coffeetree or Shumard oak (all like full sun and tolerate pollution and drought).
- At HSC (10am-11am at Abraham Flexner Way & Preston), a Louisville Grows Citizen Forester will be on hand to explain best practices for tree planting, and you'll learn about The Nature Conservancy’s Healthy Trees, Healthy Cities App to increase awareness about tree stewardship and citizen science.
- At Belknap (noon-1pm at Garden Commons, SW corner of Strickler Hall), enjoy a 30 minute Garden Commons Workshop on Restoring our Urban Canopy while snacking on free local apples from UofL Dining!
Co-sponsored by UofL's Sustainability Council, HSC Green Team, UofL Dining, and UofL Office of Health Promotion. RSVP on Facebook.
This is a UofL Sustainability Week event! Join us for more tree planting Saturday and the rest of the Week:
A full week of events to celebrate, raise awareness, and engage your passions for environmental, social & economic justice! The week will include:
- Saturday, Oct. 24 – Louisville Earth Walk (virtual - join the UofL Sustainability Group)
- Saturday, Oct. 24, 8am-Noon – Volunteer Tree Planting with Louisville Grows (Jeffersonville, IN)
- Sunday, Oct. 25, Noon-2pm – UofL Community Composting Volunteer Day (200 block of E. Bloom St. just one block north of Cardinal Blvd. between Brook and Floyd Streets - map here)
- Tuesday, Oct. 27, 10am-Noon – Pop-up Free Store! (Humanities Quad)
- Wednesday, Oct. 28, 10am-2pm – 13th Annual Campus Sustainability Day Fair (Humanities Quad)
- Wednesday, Oct. 28, 6pm – Post-Landfill Action Network Movie Night: Plastic Wars (online - register)
- Friday, Oct. 30, Noon – EcoReps Workshop: Shane Tedder, UK Sustainability Officer (Ekstrom W210 or online)
- Friday, Oct. 30, Noon – Garden Commons Workday (Strickler Hall)