- Become an Eco-Rep! This program through the Sustainability Council offers in-depth campus sustainability training for all students, faculty, and staff willing to take a leadership role and become a point-person for peer-to-peer mentoring about sustainability in their building, unit, department, club, or residence hall. Eco-Reps also participate in on-going service opportunities. Full details here, or Follow on . Contact Eco-Reps Director, Brian Barnes at 502-338-1338 or firstname.lastname@example.org. UofL Green Scene: Eco-Representing
Volunteer! The Sustainability Council can put your skills and interests to work. Meeting schedules for the Sustainability Council and all of its Committees are available here. Students, faculty, and staff are always welcome. For questions contact UofL's sustainability coordinator, Justin Mog, 502-852-8575.
Our standing weekly service opportunities include:
- Help manage UofL's Campus Gardens! The Garden Commons has weekly group workdays year-round or you can stop by on your own time to help out. Follow on
- UofL's Community Composting Project needs volunteers every Sunday, Noon-2pm, 250 E. Bloom St. (one block north of Cardinal Blvd. between Brook & Floyd Streets - map here). Follow on
- UofL Free Store is run by volunteers who open the store set hours each week and help keep useful items out of the landfill! Follow on
- Fight food insecurity and climate change by keeping leftovers out of the landfill with the Food Recovery Network - UofL Chapter, and the Cardinal Cupboard free campus food pantry in SAC W314! Follow on
- Participate in some of the many UofL Sustainability Events throughout the year!
Pledge! Take the Cards Go Green! Pledge to increase your personal sustainability!
Graduating? Take the Sustainability Graduation Pledge to make social and environmental responsibility part of your life after UofL, too!
Take Action! Use these tools to help inform, sustain, and track your personal actions for sustainability: Joulebug (sustainability mobile app), GoingGreenToday (personal green coach), Energy Efficiency Mobile Apps.
>> See our Green Tips page for more ideas about what you can do to lead a more sustainable life and help improve our community right here in Louisville.
- Understand your impact! Use these online tools to calculate your Ecological Footprint (an estimate how much land area it takes to support your lifestyle) and calculate your (an estimate of your greenhouse gas emissions) and learn how to be part of the solution!
- Offset your carbon emissions through a service such as Carbon Footprint Ltd, Native Energy, CarbonFund, TerraPass, or for free (through commissions) with UCapture.
- Donate here to support our work through the Green Fund for UofL! Your contributions directly support our sustainability initiatives!
UofL Sustainability Council- All students, faculty, and staff are welcome any time! Meeting schedules here.
Follow us on
Follow us on
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on YouTube
Follow our Blog
- UofL Eco-Reps - Students, faculty, and staff who are trained to serve as a point-person for peer-to-peer mentoring about sustainability in their building, unit, department, or residence hall.
- Health Sciences Center (HSC) Green Team - Contact the Chair, Nancy Tierney .
- Law School Sustainability Committee - Follow on
- Campus Tree Advisory Committee - Contact the Chair, Justin Mog.
Sustainability Living-Learning Community Canoe Trip
- Sustainability Living-Learning Community - This community provides students interested in sustainability and sustainable living with the opportunity to deepen their understanding of the principles and practice of sustainability, while developing skills, leadership, and a community of support. Participants in this immersive LLC will live together, take classes together, and take action together. They will participate in campus sustainability programming and service projects. As sustainability is an inherently transdisciplinary pursuit, participants from any major are welcome. You do not have to be pursuing a degree in Sustainability to live in this community, but participants will be exposed to this new major as an option. Full details and application here.
- Student Sustainability Coalition - Contact Josh Cagle. Divest UofL campaign - Follow on Engage.
- Engage.Lead.Serve. Board's Green Initiatives Committee - Follow on
- Food Recovery Network - UofL Chapter
- - Join us on Engage. Follow on or
- Student Cycling Coalition - Follow on or or Engage. Manages UofL's official Collegiate Division 1 Cycling Team: UofL Cycling & Triathlon, UofLCycling@gmail.com
- Fighting for Immigrants' Rights and Equality (FIRE) - UofL Chapter of the Kentucky Dream Coalition. Follow on
- - Follow on
- Cardinal Student/Farmworker Alliance - Follow on
Students for Reproductive Freedom - The Planned Parenthood campus affiliate group at UofL. Follow on
- - Join us on Engage. Follow on
- Garden Commons - Follow on or
- UofL Botanical Society - Join on Engage.
- Biology Undergraduate Student Association - Follow on
- Environmental Law & Land Use Society - Follow on
- Louisville Students for Justice in Palestine - Follow on Twitter, YouTube, and Blogspot.
- Cards United Against Sweatshops - Follow on . Watch video of March 2015 Bangladeshi Garment Workers visit to UofL.
- U.S. Green Building Council UofL Student Chapter (LEED) - Follow on
- Expedition Cards - Follow on or or Engage.
- Student Athletes Taking Action - Follow on
UofL's 2013 Solar Decathlon team of students designed and built the fully-powered Phoenix House! Read more about the team's success in the national competition
- Courses: Consider weaving sustainability themes into the classes you teach or offering new courses focused on sustainability. Our Green Threads program can help you get started.
- Research: Because sustainability concerns are interdisciplinary and universal, there's no end to the possibilities for you and your students. Whether your focus is off-campus or helping make UofL a living laboratory of sustainability, our Research page will give you some resources and ideas to get started.
- Lead By Example: Faculty are mentors to the next generation. Students learn not only from your lectures and assignments but by observing your actions. "Walk the talk" by following these Green Tips for more sustainable behaviors!
All students, faculty, and staff are welcome to get involved in UofL's Sustainability Council at any time!
Updated meeting schedules for the Council and all of its Committees are available here. All are welcome at all meetings. New members can come to any meeting and introduce yourself. We look forward to seeing you!