- Become an Eco-Rep! This program through the Sustainability Council offers in-depth campus sustainability training for all students, faculty, and staff willing to take a leadership role and become a point-person for peer-to-peer mentoring about sustainability in their building, unit, department, club, or residence hall. Eco-Reps also participate in on-going service opportunities. Full details here, or Follow on . Contact Eco-Reps Director, Brian Barnes at 502-338-1338 or email@example.com.
Volunteer! The Sustainability Council can put your skills and interests to work. Meeting schedules for the Sustainability Council and all of its Committees are available here. Students, faculty, and staff are always welcome. For questions contact UofL's sustainability coordinator, Justin Mog, 502-852-8575.
Our standing weekly service opportunities include:
- Fight food insecurity and climate change by keeping leftovers out of the landfill with the Food Recovery Network - UofL Chapter, and the Cardinal Cupboard free campus food pantry in SAC W312! 2022-23 volunteers should contact Emma Eskridge.
- UofL's Community Composting Project needs volunteers every Sunday, Noon-2pm, 240 E. Bloom St. (one block north of Cardinal Blvd. between Brook & Floyd Streets - map here). Follow on
- UofL Free Store in SAC W303C is run by volunteers who help process donations and keep the store tidy and organized in support of the project to help keep useful items out of the landfill while meeting the needs of their peers. Follow on or
- Help manage UofL's Campus Gardens! The Garden Commons has weekly group workdays year-round or you can stop by on your own time to help out. Sign-up here to stay informed and follow on or
- Participate in some of the many UofL Sustainability throughout the year!
Pledge! Take the to increase your personal sustainability!
Graduating? Take the Sustainability Graduation Pledge to make social and environmental responsibility part of your life after UofL, too!
Take Action! Use these tools to help inform, sustain, and track your personal actions for sustainability: Joulebug (sustainability mobile app), GoingGreenToday (personal green coach), Energy Efficiency Mobile Apps.
>> See our page for more ideas about what you can do to lead a more sustainable life and help improve our community right here in Louisville.
>> The Louisville Climate Action Network offers many more Simple Steps, Bigger Steps, Civic Steps, and Sharing Steps to help you on your journey to greater sustainability!
- Understand your impact! Use these online tools to calculate your Ecological Footprint (an estimate how much land area it takes to support your lifestyle) and calculate your (an estimate of your greenhouse gas emissions) and learn how to be part of the solution!
- Offset your carbon emissions through a service such as Climate Vault, which uses your donation to buy carbon pollution permits on government regulated cap & trade markets and then use them to fund highly vetted, government regulated projects that remove carbon from the atmosphere. Other options include Patch (official partner of the Carbon Commitment/Second Nature), Carbon Footprint Ltd, Native Energy, CarbonFund, TerraPass, or for free (through commissions) with UCapture.
- Donate here to support our work through the Green Fund for UofL! Your contributions directly support our sustainability initiatives!
UofL Sustainability Council- All students, faculty, and staff are welcome any time!
- Meeting schedules (all are welcome!)
- Follow us on
- Follow us on
- Follow us on X (Twitter)
- Follow us on
- Watch us on YouTube
- Read our Blog
- UofL Eco-Reps - Students, faculty, and staff who are trained to serve as a point-person for peer-to-peer mentoring about sustainability in their building, unit, department, or residence hall.
- Health Sciences Center (HSC) Green Team - Contact the Chair, Andrew Roberts (859-595-8587) .
- Law School Sustainability Committee - Contact the Chair, Scott Campbell. Follow on
- - Contact the Chair, Justin Mog.
- Student Sustainability Coalition - Provides networking and mentorship in sustainability. Hosts the Divest UofL campaign - Follow on Engage or .
- - contact Emily Minnis. Follow on or
- UofL Garden Commons - contact Savannah Dowell. Follow on or
- Engage.Lead.Serve. Board's Green Initiatives Committee
Sustainability Community Canoe Trip
- Ecology and Sustainability Themed Community - UofL’s Sustainability Council and Biology department are partnering together to host a new sustainability and natural world themed community, launching in 2023-24 in University Tower Apartments and open to students from any year. This community is perfect for students in the Biology BS, Ecology Track and students from any major who are interested in sustainability, including those majoring in Sustainability through the department of Urban and Public Affairs. Students in this themed community will have opportunities to cement the lessons of the classroom through practical application, service, and community building. .
- Environmental Health Sciences Club - For UofL students interested in the field of Environmental Health. Students will be able to attend lectures, workshops, research and outreach programs related to environmental health and justice. Follow on Engage or .
- Food Recovery Network - UofL Chapter - 2023-24 volunteers should contact Tuesday Shaw / Cardinal Cupboard food pantry
- - Join us on Engage. Follow on
- UofL Clean Water Professionals - Join on Teams.
- UofL Chapter of Commonwealth Policy Coalition
- Young Democratic Socialists of America at UofL - organizing in the movement for social justice with a vision of socialism that is profoundly democratic, feminist, and anti-racist. Working with labor campaigns to organize student workers and staff; to defend immigrants; to divest from fossil fuels; and to do anti-poverty work through local mutual aid programs. Follow on Twitter or or Engage.
- Students for a Socialist Revolution - helping students from all backgrounds to engage in Communist Political Philosophy, and assisting you in your journey through the realm of political thought. Join us on Engage or Follow on
- Student Cycling Coalition - Follow on or or Engage. Manages UofL's official Collegiate Division 1 Cycling Team: UofL Cycling & Triathlon, UofLCycling@gmail.com
- Clean 4 Cards - Join to help clean up and beautify our campus as well as promote good habits on or Engage or GroupMe.
- Students for Reproductive Freedom - The Planned Parenthood campus affiliate group at UofL. Join us on Engage. Follow on
- - Join us on Engage. Follow on
- The Botanical Society - Connect on Engage, LinkTree, GroupMe, Microsoft Teams, or Instagram.
- - Join us on Engage.
- Louisville Students for Justice in Palestine - Follow on Twitter.
- Expedition Cards - a group focusing on exploration, outdoor activities, and protection of public lands. Follow on or Engage.
- Courses: Consider weaving sustainability themes into the classes you teach or offering new courses focused on sustainability. Our Green Threads program can help you get started.
- Research: Because sustainability concerns are interdisciplinary and universal, there's no end to the possibilities for you and your students. Whether your focus is off-campus or helping make UofL a living laboratory of sustainability, our Research page will give you some resources and ideas to get started.
- Lead By Example: Faculty are mentors to the next generation. Students learn not only from your lectures and assignments but by observing your actions. "Walk the talk" by following these for more sustainable behaviors!
All students, faculty, and staff are welcome to get involved in UofL's Sustainability Council at any time!
Updated meeting schedules for the Council and all of its Committees are available here. All are welcome at all meetings. New members can come to any meeting and introduce yourself. We look forward to seeing you!