Jan 31, 2022 12:00 AM
Mar 26, 2022 11:55 PM
|Contact Name||Maria Cora|
|Add event to calendar||
Post your sustainable actions and tag @UofLSustainable or submit them through our online form to win a Green Raleigh M-20 Mountain Bike, or one of eight fabulous weekly prize baskets!
January 31 - March 26, 2022
A friendly annual competition among North American universities. During this 8 week period, UofL will compete to reduce waste, increase recycling & composting, and raise conservation awareness across all three campuses! Keep up with the Cards progress at the Campus Race website.
- REDUCE & RECYCLE! Help the Cards to victory by avoiding disposables (bring your own mug, bottle, plate, etc.) and fully utilizing UofL’s amazingly easy, single-stream recycling system that lets you recycle everything in the same bin, everywhere on campus: all types of plastic, paper, cardboard, metal, and glass! Details on what you can recycle at UofL here.
- COMPOST! We will be collecting food wastes for composting from The Ville Grill, SAC Marketplace, and other campus dining locations and adding those numbers to UofL's organics recycling totals! You can also compost your food scraps and soiled paper products in the compost bins at the Garden Commons (SW corner of Strickler Hall) and the Urban & Public Affairs Horticulture Zone. If it came from a plant, we want to compost it: fruit & vegetable wastes/peels/rinds/seeds, baked goods, grains, tea bags, coffee grounds/filters, and all kinds of soiled paper products (tissues, towels, napkins, plates, cups, etc.).
RECYCLE E-WASTE! Don't send your old electronics to the landfill! From Feb. 16th - March 16th, we will have special collection points set up in the following locations:
Ekstrom Library (1st floor entryway next to Starbucks, small items only)
SAC W310 (Student Affairs Office)
Duthie Center at Speed School of Engineering (1st Floor Student Study Area)
HSC Kornhauser Library (1st floor lobby behind elevators)
Urban & Public Affairs (426 W. Bloom St., 1st floor central hall by vending). Stop by any time to drop off any of the following types of electronics for recycling: all computers, monitors, televisions, printers, copiers, scanners, servers, networking equipment, fax machines, telephones and cellphones, RAM/memory, hard drives, battery backups, and peripherals such as keyboards, mice, speakers, AC adapters, and mixed computer cables/wires. We are partnering with UofL's eSports Club to help you Trash the competition, not the planet!
February 7-27, 2022
Live on campus? Win with conservation! Inspired by Project Drawdown, UofL residence halls will compete among each other to see who can reduce electricity use the most over three weeks. The winning hall will earn a pizza party, sponsored by RHA! All you have to do is stop wasting energy! Turn off lights/TVs/computers; unplug anything you're not actively using; skip the elevator for the stairs; close windows tightly; dry clothes on a rack/line; take quick showers or shower with solar power at the SRC; etc.
- Keep track of each hall's progress with , where you can see how much electricity your hall is using and learn how you can conserve! Halls in the competition include:
- Bettie Johnson Hall
- Billy Minardi Hall
- Community Park (real-time data!)
- Kurz Hall (real-time data!)
- Louisville Hall (real-time data!)
- Unitas Hall (real-time data!)
- University Tower Apartments (UTA)
- Weekly prizes: At the end of each of the eight weeks of Ecolympics 2022, one person who has shared their sustainable action(s) will receive a themed gift basket (Gardening, Wellness, Local Coffee/Tea, Entertainment, Kitchen, Books, Outdoor, & Travel)!
- Grand Prize: One impressive Cardinal who takes the most sustainable actions during Ecolympics 2022 will ride home on a Green Raleigh M-20 Mountain Bike (or another bike of your preference)!
- Post your sustainable actions and tag @UofLSustainable or submit them through our online form throughout February & March to be entered into the competition! New winners will be picked each week! Enter as often as you can!