Feb 01, 2019 12:00 AM
Mar 30, 2019 11:55 PM
|Contact Name||Justin Mog|
|Add event to calendar||
Two fun sustainability competitions to get you engaged in saving our one green planet!
Post your sustainable actions and tag @UofLSustainable to win a restored vintage Peugeot road bike, gift cards to Comfy Cow and Heine Bros. coffee, and other fabulous prizes!
RecycleMania! - February 3 to March 30, 2019
A friendly annual competition among North American universities. During this 8 week period, UofL will compete to reduce waste, increase recycling & composting, and raise conservation awareness across all three campuses! Keep up with the Cards progress at the RecycleMania website.
- REDUCE & RECYCLE! Help the Cards to victory by avoiding disposables (bring your own mug, bottle, plate, etc.) and fully utilizing UofL’s amazingly easy, single-stream recycling system that lets you recycle everything in the same bin, everywhere on campus: all types of plastic, paper, cardboard, metal, and glass! Details on what you can recycle at UofL here.
- COMPOST! We will be collecting food wastes for composting from The Ville Grill and other campus dining locations and adding those numbers to UofL's organics recycling totals! You can also compost your food scraps and soiled paper products in the compost bins at the Garden Commons (next to the greenhouse behind the Cultural Center) and the Urban & Public Affairs Horticulture Zone. Please no animal/dairy products or liquids, but otherwise, if it came from a plant, we want to compost it: fruit & vegetable wastes/peels/rinds/seeds, bread, pasta, rice, tea bags, coffee grounds/filters, even paper products (tissues, towels, napkins, plates, cups, newspaper, etc.).
We will be offering a collection of electronic wastes for recycling at both the Kick-Off event and in every residence hall's lobby throughout Ecolympics 2019! You can recycle any electronic consumer items, including: all computers, monitors, televisions, printers, copiers, scanners, servers, networking equipment, fax machines, telephones and cellphones, RAM/memory, hard drives, battery backups, and peripherals such as keyboards, mice, speakers, AC adapters, and mixed computer cables/wires. Please make sure your data has been wiped from your device before recycling. We will also have collections for recycling any type of battery, lamps, and ink/toner cartridges.
RecycleMania 2019 Results:
- In the Diversion category, UofL upped our game from 2018, again finishing #1 in the state and 18th out of 159 nationally, with an overall Recycling Rate of 57.65% during the 8-week competition from February 3rd to March 30th, 2019. Full Results here.
- UofL also improved our performance in the Per Capita Classic, having recycled 16.841 lbs/person, for a 1st place finish in Kentucky and a national ranking of 42nd.
- In Total Recycling, UofL improved as well, finishing 2nd in the state and 36th in the nation by recycling and composting 537,408 lbs. over 8 weeks.
- For our efforts to compost, UofL finished 1st in Kentucky and 89th in the country in the Food Organics category, with 18.00 points.
- In the all-important Waste Minimization category, UofL finished 129th nationally and 5th in the state, with a total waste production of 39.72 lbs/person.
- All these efforts equate to reducing our carbon emissions by 614 Metric Tons of CO2 Equivalent. That's equivalent to taking 120 cars off the road, or the offsetting emissions from the energy consumption of 53 households!
Campus Conservation Nationals - February 1-21, 2019
Live on campus? Win with conservation! UofL residence halls will compete among each other and battle together against campuses across the country to see who can reduce electricity use the most over three weeks. All you have to do is stop wasting energy! Turn off lights/TVs/computers; unplug anything you're not actively using; skip the elevator for the stairs; close windows tightly; dry clothes on a rack/line; take quick showers or shower with solar power at the SRC; etc.
- Keep track of each hall's progress with UofL's Building Dashboard! Use the Dashboard below to see how much electricity your hall is using and learn how you can conserve! Halls in the competition include:
- Bettie Johnson Hall
- Community Park (real-time data!)
- Kurz Hall (real-time data!)
- Louisville Hall (real-time data!)
- Miller Hall
- Threlkeld Hall
- Unitas Hall (real-time data!)
- University Tower Apartments (UTA)
- In addition to a Green Renovation prize for the winning hall, one resident who takes the most steps during Ecolympics 2019 will win a restored vintage Peugeot road bike , gift cards to Comfy Cow and Heine Bros. coffee, and other fabulous prizes!!
- Each week, those who post green actions will be entered to win fabulous prizes such as Comfy Cow and Heine Bros. gift cards.
- Post your sustainable actions and tag @UofLSustainable throughout February & March to be entered into the competition!
Thanks to the dedicated efforts by residents, three of the halls were able to reduce electricity consumption over the three weeks of the dorm-based energy conservation competition from February 1-21, 2019:
- Kurz Hall reduced 8.6%
- Louisville Hall reduced 2.5%
- Unitas Tower reduced 0.8%
- Bettie Johnson Hall increased 0.5%
- Community Park increased 1.7%
- Miller Hall increased 7.1%
- University Tower Apartments increased 11.1%
- Threlkeld Hall increased 22.7%
Congratulations to the residents of Kurz Hallfor winning their first Gold Medal in Ecolympics!!
Congratulations to our Ecolympics GRAND PRIZE WINNER!
UofL student, Jesse Villier, was crowned the 2019 Ecolympics Challenge winner!
Jesse tagged @UofLsustainable throughout the competition on many different photos of various sustainable actions to earn the free bike. Thank you, everyone, for your participation and congratulations Jesse!