Inclusive Teaching Reading Circle
Reading Circles bring educators together for cross-disciplinary conversation to build knowledge, community and collaboration.
Inclusive Teaching: Strategies for Promoting Equity in the College Classroom
by Vij i Sathy and Kelly Hogan
Join us as we read Inclusive Teaching: Strategies for Promoting Equity in the College Classroom, co-authored by our 2023 Celebration of Teaching and Learning keynote speakers, Drs. Viji Sathy and Kelly Hogan.
In their new book, Inclusive Teaching: Strategies for Promoting Equity in the College Classroom, Drs. Hogan and Sathy introduce key principles for inclusive teaching and provide step-by-step guidance for those who wish to become more inclusive teachers. This easy-to-read book includes a series of personal anecdotes of the authors’ own journey alongside their scholarship and a series of research-based, actionable interventions for designing and teaching more inclusively. Sathy and Hogan also provide ideas for how faculty can evaluate their efforts to promote equity and inclusion in their courses.
To provide faculty and staff a space and place to critically reflect on their relationship to forces that influence equity in teaching and learning, identify areas for improvement, and commit to changing an element of their practice. We will use Drs. Hogan and Sathy’s recently published book, Inclusive Teaching: Strategies for Promoting Equity in the College Classroom, to prime and ground our conversations about inclusive teaching and provide participants a resource so they may commit to action.
Our discussion will engage with many of the questions and strategies raised in the book:
- What does it mean to have an inclusive mindset?
- How may we intentionally structure our courses to enhance equity and inclusion?
- How will we know if our efforts are promoting equity and inclusion?
- How do we cultivate inclusive teaching at UofL in our programs and our practices going forward?
Who may Join?
We welcome instructors and student support staff at all levels. This Reading Circle is limited to 10 participants.
We will meet for 75 minutes four times over the course of the Reading Circle, with one meeting functioning as a workshop where participants will complete and receive feedback on their action plan. All events are virtual and will be hosted via MS Teams.
- Tuesday, May 9, 10 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
- Wednesday, May 17, 10 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
- Tuesday, May 23, 10 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
- Wednesday, May 31, 10 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Expectations for Participation:
Participants will receive a hard copy of the book at the beginning of May. We will convene as a group four times over the Month. We will discuss 2-3 chapters of the book at each meeting (approximately 60-70 pages) and use the fourth meeting as a workshop to create and review our action plans.
Further, we ask participants to:
- Commit to changing an element of their practice to enhance inclusion and equity within their courses and/or their interactions with students.
- Fill out a brief evaluation at the conclusion of the end of the Reading Circle.
Dr. Caroline Boswell, Acting Co-Associate Director of Teaching and Learning, Delphi Center
Dr. Patty Payette, Executive Director, Quality Enhancement Plan