Course Sites and Course Content Retention Policy
Define how long course sites and course content will be retained in the Learning Management Systems (LMS), currently Blackboard and Tegrity.
This policy establishes guidelines for University of Louisville’s retention rules for course sites being stored in University of Louisville’s Blackboard Learning Management Systems. This policy is designed to reduce the number of historic courses currently being viewed in the Blackboard course list view, decrease the amount of storage costs, and adhere to Blackboard’s support policy.
General/Definitions: For purposes of this policy, unless otherwise stated, the following definitions shall apply:
- Course Sites: A site created within Blackboard that is specific to a single course being offered during a specific semester at University of Louisville.
- Archive(d): The process of decommissioning data into a format that can be restored when required. Archived data will remain active for a predetermined period after which will be permanently deleted from University of Louisville’s systems.
- Restoration: Refers to the activity of pulling archived data back into an accessible state.
This policy applies to all courses taught in the Undergraduate and Graduate programs. The policy refers to all courses automatically generated in the registration system and subsequently populated in Blackboard. Additionally, this policy refers to any restored or otherwise manually created (GUI) added courses by Delphi and/or Information Technology.
- To retain course sites and course content for a period of time which instructors, students, staff and administrators find adequate and useful
- To optimize the performance of the LMS
- To ensure that storage space is used efficiently and minimize the financial impact of system backups and increasing disk storage
- To adhere to the Blackboard support policy
Policy Content and Guidelines:
Blackboard course sites will be available within Blackboard for a period of two (2) years from the end date of the term in which they were taught. After that time, the course sites will be archived and removed from the Blackboard system. This includes all files, grades, assignments, quizzes, surveys, links, videos and anything else associated with the course site.
The archived course sites will remain available for restoration for a period of two (2) years after they are removed from Blackboard. If during this period a course needs to be restored, the instructor of the course will submit a request to the Delphi Center and every effort will be made to restore the course.
After a course has been archived for two (2) years the course site will be permanently deleted from the archives and will no longer be available for restoration.
Instructors are also encouraged to create and keep a local archive of their own courses. View the video instructions and Instructor Guide for creating archives. To have archived courses restored complete the Restore Course form. Questions regarding this procedure can also be sent to email@example.com or at 502.852.8833.
This policy will be updated by the Delphi Center.