Getting Started in Blackboard
Logging in to Blackboard
You will use the same user ID and password you use for email and other network services. If you are having issues/difficulties with your user ID and password or other computer difficulties, the HelpDesk is available 7 days a week (check the HelpDesk Website for hours of operation) by phone at 502.852.7997.
UofL performs weekly maintenance on servers each Friday starting at 10 p.m. and finishing around 2 a.m. EST. During these times Blackboard, ULink, and Email may be unavailable. If you suspect a system is down at another time you may call the HelpDesk at 502.852.7997 for status.
Software Requirements for Using Blackboard
Software needs depends on individual requirements of the course. The instructor may require specific programs/formats for document and assignment submission. If you don't have the required programs on your computer, Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus for Students and other programs are offered to the university community at reasonable prices through the UofL Campus Store and UofL iTech Xpres.
Computer Requirements for Using Blackboard
Visit the Blackboard Recommended Minimum System Requirements page.
Some courses may require certain plug-ins for your browser to play or utilize materials. You may or may not need the plug-ins, depending on what type of files your instructor shares with you via Blackboard. These plug-ins are free downloads:
- Apple Quick Time - QuickTime Player is an application for playing, interacting with, or viewing any video, audio, VR, or graphics file that is compatible with QuickTime.
- Java - Java provides a framework on your computer to enjoy internet programs including utilities (such as chat), games, and business applications.
- Acrobat Reader - Acrobat Reader lets you view and print PDF files.
- Real Networks RealPlayer - Play online audio and video content.
- Microsoft Media Player - Windows Media Player supports Windows Media (WMA,ASF), MP3, WAV, MIDI, AVI, and other formats.
- Microsoft Silverlight - Microsoft Silverlight is used extensively in video within web pages.
Blackboard and Firewalls
Please be aware, certain corporate, government or military devices and firewalls may block access to Blackboard or associated tools