Respondus Monitor is a companion application for LockDown Browser that acts as virtual proctor for online exams. Using webcam and video technology to record student test-taking, the Monitor tool discourages cheating during online exams and promotes a more successful learning environment.
The tool integrates seamlessly with Blackboard and is ideal for non-proctored test administration.
Why Implement Respondus Monitor?
Students using Respondus Monitor in UofL’s pilot program reported a very positive experience with the application.
- 95.3% found Respondus Monitor somewhat or very easy to use
- 80% indicated they believe using Respondus Monitor promotes academic integrity
- 78% were somewhat or very satisfied with their experience using Respondus Monitor
- Increases academic integrity for online courses and online-administered exams
- Enables more class time to be used for teaching
- Automatically flags suspicious behavior during exams
- Holds students accountable for preparation
- Allows tests and quizzes to be taken from any location, at any time
- Saves on cost and time otherwise spent traveling to class, with no proctor fee
If you need help getting started with Respondus Monitor, visit http://louisville.edu/delphi/blackboard/help.
Required Faculty Training on AI-Based Test Proctoring, Algorithmic Bias, and Unconscious Bias
At the request of the Provost and the Provost’s Proctoring Committee, the Delphi Center and the Office of Diversity and Equity have partnered to develop an online asynchronous training on unconscious bias and the use of AI-based test proctoring software at UofL. The approximately forty-five-minute training explains what biases are, how the AI software works, why human review is important when examining flags, and tips for reducing bias. The AI-Based Test Proctoring, Algorithmic Bias, and Unconscious Bias training aims to make faculty aware of the inequity risks resulting from the use of automated exam proctoring software. The provost and deans have agreed that this training will be REQUIRED of all faculty who choose to utilize Respondus Monitor.
Faculty can follow the directions below to access this training:
- Log into Blackboard at https://blackboard.louisville.edu using your UofL username and password.
- Select Organizations from the menu along the left-hand side of the screen.
- In the Search menu at the top of the screen, enter “University Wide Faculty Development Resources”.
- This search should bring the Training_Resources_Orgn organization to the top of the list. Click the link to enter the organization.
- Click the Bias Training link in the left-hand navigational panel for the organization.
- Click the AI-Based Test Proctoring, Algorithmic Bias, and Unconscious Bias link to begin the presentation.
At the end of the training, faculty will be asked to enter their user name and email address into the system so that completion of the training can be recorded. An email confirming completion will be sent to the provided email address.
Learn More About Respondus Monitor
Respondus offers webinars for both Lockdown Browser and Monitor.
Sample Syllabus Quiz Questions [DOCX]
Video: Respondus Monitor Overview