Honors Living Learning Community
In partnership with the University Honors Program, , the Honors LLCs are designed to create purposeful links among academic, residential, and social components of the university experience. Members of the LLCs live together and participate in group co-curricular activities. This shared academic involvement provides the foundation for the student’s LLC experience. Living in the Honors LLCs provides several unique academic and social benefits including academic advising, on-site classes, and special opportunities for faculty, staff, and student interactions. Interested students can choose between the Honors First-Year LLC or the Louisville Parks Experience LLC.
Location: Kurz Hall
Advisors: Luke Buckman, Cody Gault, and Cole Fournier
- Broad academic and social collaborations facilitate coursework and the transition to university study.
- Strengthen relationships with faculty members and peers.
- Individualized planning sessions with an Honors academic advisor.
- Programming designed for your interests.
- Guaranteed living space in the Honors residence hall.
- High level of academic engagement through Honors courses.
- Additional academic assistance and services for LLC members.
- Numerous opportunities to connect with faculty and staff.
- Guaranteed space in specific Honors courses for those who are part of Louisville Parks LLC.
Who can apply?
- All Honors-eligible students may apply for the Honors First Year LLC or the Honors Louisville Parks Experience LLC.
Honors First-Year LLC
All Honors students who wish to live in Kurz Hall should apply to participate in the Honors First-Year LLC. This LLC does not require students to enroll in a specific set of linked courses. Students are able to choose which Honors courses they prefer to take and should plan to enroll in at least one Honors course during the 2023 - 2024 academic year. These courses will be selected in conjunction with an Honors advisor summer orientation. In addition, students in the Honors First-Year LLC have the opportunity to participate in extra-curricular programming throughout the year focused on community building and academic success. If you have any questions about this LLC, please contact Luke Buckman.
Honors Louisville Parks Experience LLC
Students who choose to live in Kurz Hall may also apply to participate in the Honors Louisville Parks Experience LLC. For this LLC, the city of Louisville’s Olmsted Park system will be our primary source. The LLC is designed to introduce students to Louisville’s rich environmental and sociocultural landscape through robust partnership with the Olmsted Park Conservancy, University of Louisville Honors Program, and the University of Louisville Department of Geographic and Environmental Sciences staff. All entering Honors students are encouraged to consider the LLC, but especially those who may wish to learn more about the city’s parks and history associated with them. Classroom sessions, programming, and service activities with strengthen connections to the local community’s green space resources through a variety of offerings. The course will integrate activities (from paddling waterways and hiking trails) with academic inquiry topics (from sociopolitical history to natural resource management). This unique lens on our city’s parks and recreation assets foster connection beyond the classroom through community, campus partners, local businesses, and organizations. Students will enroll in up to 9 credits of Honors courses and general education Cardinal Core requirements. Participants will live on the same floor, take classes together, and participate in programming designed specifically for this LLC, including academic, social, outdoor activities, and community engagement.
Note: Students from all majors and undecided are encouraged to apply for this LLC. Space is limited to 25 seats total, so be sure to apply early if you want to secure a space in this community. If you have specific questions about this Nested LLC, please contact Luke Buckman. All members of this LLC are also considered participants in the Honors First-Year LLC.
- HON 101 – Honors First Year Experience (1 hour)
- HON 202 – Windows on the World (1 hour)
- Honors Cardinal Core general education requirements (3-6 hours)
- HON 202 – Windows on the World (1 hour)
- Honors Cardinal Core general education courses (3 hours)
The Honors First-Year LLC and Louisville Parks Experience LLCs are housed in Kurz Hall.
For any additional questions related to Honors LLCs, please contact Luke Buckman.