Paper Policy and Conservation Pointers

Paper Policy
Faculty and staff are to use paper for work purposes only and to conserve as much as possible while keeping the work moving forward.

GTAs are to use the Department's supply of non-letterhead paper for instructional purposes only.  The printing and copying students do as part of their own course work should be at their own expense.
Doctoral students on the job market should use departmental letterhead (available in HM 315) for job letters.  

Everyone when taking a package of paper is asked to sign a sign-out sheet on the wall above the paper supply.

Recommendations for Conserving Paper

  • Use scrap paper for printing article or book drafts, lecture notes, and so on rather than regular blank paper. For example, each semester we have blank bubble sheets left over from student evaluations. This paper  is heavier stock and may be excellent for editing and printing items.  All leftover bubble sheets are available in room 315.
  • When scrap paper is not an option, please make copies using both sides of the paper. This effort may not cut back on ink usage but will reduce the overall amount of paper used per item.
  • Remember that making a PDF of the item provides the same opportunity for distribution to students while encouraging going green. Full-time and term faculty can request a student worker prepare a PDF directly from a book in Room 315. GTA and PTL instructors have access to scanners in the labs located in the basement.
  • Not sure how to use the scanner or upload an item to Blackboard?

Please take advantage of these recommendations; help us conserve funds and make the English Department more environmentally friendly. Let’s make a difference and set an example for the University community.