Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Teaching
On this page, you will find various resources that will help you design and teach courses that follow inclusive, accessible, and antiracist principles. The English Department's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee will update these regularly and make sure they are accessible and shared across our department.
For suggestions on resources to add, use the DEI Resources Suggestion Box.
These resources offer tools, tips, and context for designing syllabi that incorporate antiracist strategies and principles, with special attention to the design of composition courses.
- Readings and Resources on Racial Justice for the UofL Composition Classroom
- Antiracist Teaching Resources (Megan M. McIntyre)
- Black Language Syllabus (Black Linguistic Justice)
Classroom Strategies and Course Design
These resources offer tips and strategies for inclusive teaching more broadly, with an emphasis on inclusive teaching principles, dealing with microagressions, and trauma-informed pedagogy.
- Inclusive Classroom Strategies and Course Design (Reinert Center Saint Louis University)
- Inclusive Teaching Principles and Resources (CRLT University of Michigan)
- Microresistance as a Way to Respond to Microaggressions (Faculty Focus)
- Responding to Microaggressions in the Classroom: Taking Action (Faculty Focus)
- Trauma-Aware Teaching Checklist (100 Faculty)
This is a listing of resources at the University of Louisville and beyond, to provide LGBTQ+ students with a welcoming and affirming experience in the classroom and on campus.
- Information on Personal Pronouns (MyPronouns.org)
- Instructions on Changing your Name in University Systems
- LGBT Center at the University of Louisville
- LGBTQ Writing Group (University Writing Center, UofL)
- LGBTQ+ Sources and Databases at Ekstrom Library
Resources for designing accessible courses and creating accessible classrooms, to promote students' agency and engagement.
- Accessible Syllabus (Anne-Marie Womack)
- Creating Accessible Courses (Delphi Center)
- Universal Design Wiki (Jay Dolmage)
Bathrooms and Lactation Spaces on Campus
A listing of gender inclusive bathrooms, lactation spaces, and bathrooms with free personal products on the University of Louisville main campus.