Faculty Travel Tips

The travel tips listed below are intended to act as guidelines. For specific questions not answered by these tips contact Taleia Willis.

An electronic version of the travel documents are linked below for your convenience. Any documents labeled as PDF format require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader Site to view. Forms labeled as editable can be filled out on-screen and printed using Acrobat Reader.

Foreign Travel

All policies listed for travel within the United States also apply to Foreign Travel. The standard Request for Authorization to Travel needs to completed for the Department. In addition a Request for Authorization for Out-of-Country Travel(editable) must be completed for the Provost Office. For detailed instructions and on-line forms visit


Per diem is paid according to the US Government rate, which can be found at http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/

Foreign per diem is paid on meals only.

The Controller's Office uses the FX Converter for all conversions of foreign money. You conversions are compared with this rate using the day the charge was made. As you are aware, exchange rates may change daily. Please note on your travel form the conversion rate you used for each area you traveled. The FX Converter can be found at the following website


Those of you traveling in June have a deadline to meet for turning in travel to be included in the fiscal year. Consult the Unit Business Manager in May for the deadlines for that year.

Authorization to Travel Form(editable)

If you are scheduled to travel to a conference or to do research, you will need to complete the Request for Authorization to Travel form. This form must be dated and signed by the Department Chair at least 30 days before the start of travel. It is especially important to submit this form before foreign travel. Even though this is considered a department form, if any part of your travel is being paid through the Dean's office or if you are traveling out-of-country, a copy of the completed authorization form must be approved by the Dean's office.

Travel Expense Report (TER) should be used upon your trip as of January 2016.

When you return from a trip, complete a Travel Expense Report. The Controller is particularly picky about plane tickets and lodging.

  • A copy of the front page of your conference booklet should be included showing dates.
  • The vendor number will be added by UBM (Unit Business Manager).
  • All days from the departure date through the return date should be accounted for. For personal days taken during trip no lodging or per diem will be reimbursed.



  • Airline tickets should include proof of payment and itinerary showing departure and arrival time. With online tickets follow the page or link that says "Print a Receipt" this should include all the required information.
  • List any and all ground transportation — cabs, subway, etc. Receipts are needed for any claim, but especially for claims over $30. Gas receipts for rental cars can also be turned in for reimbursement.
  • If you drive your own car, mileage will be reimbursed. To ensure that you will be reimbursed for mileage at the correct rate, which can change often, make sure you are using the most current version on the Travel Voucher form.  You will need proof that your mileage is cheaper than a flight.  A copy of a flight schedule price from PanAm is needed.



  • All lodging bills must show proof of payment and daily rate, including city and state taxes.
  • If lodging is shared by more than one person, each person must turn in an individual bill with their name printed on the bill and proof of payment for the cost shared.
  • Bills that are left under the hotel room door do not contain proof of payment.  Go by the hotel desk and pick up an invoice.
  • Similarly, if you stay in a motel where only a sales slip is provided for a receipt, a note from you is needed stating the receipt amount includes the room charge(s), taxes, and no incidentals. Without this note attached to the receipt, the Controller will not reimburse.
  • Lodging with a friend or family member during travel should be noted.
  • Meals
  • In our efforts to observe university-wide variable per diem rates, please visit the Controller's Office Travel Policy Guide.

Other Expenses

  • One long distance call
  • Copy work cannot be turned in on a travel voucher.
  • Charges for online hookups can not be turned in on your voucher unless it is charged on your hotel bill, which can be paid by disbursement if receipts are turned in.


Once the Travel Expense Report (TER) is checked and all the information is correct, it will be entered into PeopleSoft by Taleia Willis, and completed by the Controller’s Office for processing. The sooner the TER is processed by this office, the sooner it will appear as a direct deposit in your bank account.