1. The deadline for applying to the Humanities Ph.D. is January 15th. Admission to the Humanities PhD program is exclusively for the fall semester of each academic year. No late applications will be accepted.
2. All applicants must have completed an appropriate Master's degree (M.A., M.F.A., M.Div, etc.) prior to entering the program.
3. All applicants must also have fulfilled all requirements of the Graduate School.
Required Documents are:
- Online Graduate Application for Admission
- Payment of Graduate School application fee.
- A current curriculum vitae;
- A statement of intent (about 1000 words) focusing on the research interests and the applicant’s professional goals;
- A scholarly or creative writing sample
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate- and graduate-level work;
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test scores.* NOTA BENE: GRE scores are required; however, the Humanities Graduate Admissions Committee will do a holistic review of all the application material presented by the applicant in order to make a final decision.
- Three letters of recommendation from former professors or colleagues attesting to
capability for doctoral-level work;
- If applicable, proof of English proficiency.
4. Applicants planning to attend as full-time students and seeking financial support in the form of graduate teaching assistantships must also complete the GTAship application (please see Funding) and return it to the Humanities PhD Program Administrator (not Graduate School).
5. For questions regarding costs, financial aid, residency, housing, and graduate life at UofL, please see the Graduate School website.
6. For any further questions regarding specificities of the Humanities PhD Program application, please e-mail the PhD Program Administrator.