Department of Theatre Arts
Thank you for your interest in Theatre Arts at the University of Louisville.
Stay tuned for information regarding our 2013-2014 Theatre Arts Season.
Theatre Arts and the Liberal Arts
The Theatre Arts Department is part of the College of Arts and Sciences. Among the college's essential goals are:
- That all students undertake research so that they experience the excitement of new knowledge and change
- That all students be exposed to major ethical dilemmas they will face in the world
- That all students look at the world through the eyes of someone different from themselves.
In the classrooms, rehearsal rooms, and shops of the Theatre Arts Department, we engage these lofty goals every day. Check out our degree programs listed under Academics for more information on the degrees offered at the University of Louisville, Theatre Arts Department.
Theatre in Production
Opportunities for students to learn theatre by making it include:
Annual season of fully-produced shows directed by faculty or guest artists and designed by faculty or advanced graduate and undergraduate students. Anyone may audition for all productions. The repertoire includes classics, contemporary plays, and musical theatre.
Student produced, directed, acted, designed, and managed work that emphasizes the play and performance over production values. Repertoire includes one-act plays, lesser known works, and new material.
Tours culturally-diverse classic, folk, and modern plays to local schools.
Our graduates live in the world as:
- Actors in the professional theatre, television, and film in America and several foreign countries.
- Designers of scenery, lighting, and costumes from coast to coast.
- Scenic artists and technicians for professional theatres and production companies.
- Teachers in public and private schools, junior colleges, colleges, and universities.
- Businesswomen (and men), parents, play-goers, and plain folk whose daily lives are enriched by a deeper understanding of the power and potential of art.