Thinking about retiring or already retire? This page serves as a place to find all the information needed to learn about retirement. Our hope is to help you stay connected to the university while also providing the most up-to-date information regarding retirement.
The University of Louisville does not have a mandatory retirement age for faculty, staff, or administrators.
Retirement may occur when a regular status employee either:
- Has a minimum of seven years of regular service and who is at least 60 years of age or
- Has a minimum of seven years of service in eligible Faculty or Staff status, and whose combination of age and years of regular service of not less than 80% full-time equivalent at the University is equal to or greater than 75.
For purposes of the preceding sentence, years of regular service mean calendar years or (in the case of faculty) academic years and employment on a basis of not less than 80% full-time equivalent during any part of a calendar year or (in the case of faculty) an academic year shall be counted as a full year of regular service.
For information about faculty phased retirement, visit the Faculty Affairs policy webpage.
Planning Retirement Steps
If you are planning to retire soon, you will need to follow these steps:
1. Contact your Benefits Counselor at least three months prior to your expected retirement date.
2. View our Retirement Checklist to follow the steps of transitioning into retirement!
3. Complete the Continuation of Benefits Form.
If you have questions about your retirement health benefits, contact Carol Zehnder.
If you are a pre-65 retiree and have questions about your Get Healthy Now incentive, contact Tamara Iacono.