Transitioning from the University
Learn more about retiree benefits.
2. Reduction in Force Information & Resources
If you were a reduction in force employee, please review the documents and follow the steps below:
- View and complete the RIF Checklist.
- View the RIF Employee Summary of Rights & Benefits.
- View and complete the RIF temp employment pool election (optional).
- Complete the university Exit Survey.
- Place an out of office message on your voicemail and louisville.edu email account (e.g., Thank you for contacting me. Unfortunately, I do not have access to this email (voicemail) and therefore am unable to assist you. Please contact (department contact) at (department email) for assistance).
- Contact the unemployment office at http://www.oet.ky.gov if you would like to learn more about unemployment insurance.
Resume & Interview Tips*
It is always beneficial to keep your resume up-to-date and interview skills polished.
Key Information to Include on a Resume:
- Contact Information
- Opening Statement: Summary or Objective
- Work History with dates
- Education with dates
- Soft Skills and Technical Skills
- Certifications and Professional Memberships
- Achievements and Awards
- Additional Sections (Community Involvement, Volunteering, etc.)
Helpful Information to Include in a Cover Letter:
- Header – Contact Information
- Personal Greeting – Greet the reader (if you aren't sure who the reader is, write "To whom it may concern")
- Introduction – Who you are (don't spend too much time here)
- Qualifications and why you're a good fit – Discuss the position and why you are a qualified candidate (use qualifications relevant to the position)
- Signature – Close out reiterating why you are a strong candidate and what you can do for the position and your signature
Tips to Prepare for an Interview:
- Do your research
- Practice answering common interview questions
- Thoroughly review the job description
- Be prepared to provide examples of specific work related skills and resolutions
- Create a list of references (Secure references prior to interview)
- Ask at least three questions
Post Interview Tips:
- Follow-up to all interviewers with a thank note or email (if information is available)
- If no longer interested in the position, formally withdraw from consideration
- Continue to apply for other positions you are interested in
*These are only suggestions and not guaranteed solutions to securing employment
Benefits questions- email email@example.com
All other Benefits questions- email firstname.lastname@example.org
RIF or employment questions- email email@example.com
International Center for VISA questions-email firstname.lastname@example.org
Payroll for paycheck questions- email email@example.com
Post Employment Benefits
Eligible employees can continue health insurance after leaving the university through COBRA for a period of 18 months. Learn more >>
Insurance Conversion and Portability Option
Regular full-time employees receive Basic life insurance equal to twice their annual salary, up to a maximum of $200,000. This policy and any supplemental coverage that you purchase can be converted to a whole life policy after leaving employment at U of L, provided you make your request and pay the premium within 31 days of your termination/resignation. MetLife will be mailing you a personalized notice regarding your conversion and/or portability options. Please contact us immediately at 852-2983 if you do not hear from them, as you only have 31 days from your termination date to enroll. Or you may contact MetLife directly at 1-877-275-6387.
Option to convert when your life insurance ends because:
- cease to be in an eligible status;
- end of employment;
- end of Group Policy and a policy holder for at least 5 continuous years.
Option to convert when your life insurance is reduced:
- on or after the date you attain age 60;
- change from one eligible class to another; or
- due to an amendment of the Group Policy.
Employee Relations is responsible for administering the Unemployment Insurance Program, including processing and reviewing unemployment claims. Learn more >>
Questions about benefits after you leave the university? Contact the Benefits Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.