Life Events

Life always brings change! Even though your benefits take effect January 1 and remain in place through December 31, sometimes qualifying life events can change your benefits needs. The birth or adoption of a child, marriage, divorce, or your spouse gaining or losing coverage can all be eligible events. You can make changes to your benefits within 30 days of a qualifying life event.

Having a baby? Congratulations! We understand how busy this time can be, but remember that you must notify UofL Benefits within 30 days of your child’s date of birth to add them to your insurance

Notifying UofL Benefits of Life Events

Let us know by sending an email to with your documentation no later than 30 days from the event. Once you submit your documentation, you will receive an email notification when you can log in to ULink* to make your changes, typically within 24-48 hours. If you miss this 30 day window, you will not be able to make changes until the next Open Enrollment period for the following benefits year.

What we Need

Qualifying Life Event Required Documentation
Birth or adoption birth: copy of hospital issued birth certificate or hospital issued statement of birth;
adoption: copy in English of the adoption paperwork from the state or country of origin
Marriage** copy of marriage certificate
Divorce** or legal separation copy of legal document showing the date of separation or divorce
Spouse/dependent gains or loses other coverage or eligibility letter from the new employer or health care provider stating the first day of coverage; Loses coverage – letter from the former employer or health care provider stating the last day of coverage.
Change in employment status (full-time/part-time) no additional documentation needed

* To access ULink to make these changes, you will need to use the UL2FCTR / DUO authentication (a two-factor authentication) as you log in. If you have not previously done this, visit for more details on how to sign up.

** Whenever your name changes, because of marriage, divorce, or any legal action, you must get a new social security card and provide this number and new name to Payroll Services. For further information, visit Payroll's website.