Chief Executive Leadership
40 Hour Training Course / 4.0 CEUs / Tuition: $695.00 / KLEC Approved
This course of study exposes participants to the key elements necessary to be successful as a chief of police/head of a law enforcement agency. A variety of topics and techniques will be covered that will prepare participants to engage in a management style that will foster a rewarding and successful career as a police chief or head of a law enforcement agency. The focus of the training course will serve to facilitate executive-level decision-making techniques that will lead the participants down the road to success.
The learning environment and course exercises will be interactive with frequent group discussions in order to draw on the experience and expertise of the participants themselves as well as from the experience the instructors bring to the classroom. Practical and scenario-based exercises, along with information sharing and discussion within the class, will provide the opportunity for course participants to understand issues from many different viewpoints to assist them in grasping the concepts as they are discussed.
Participants will be presented with material and instruction designed to facilitate and encourage a positive, developmental, forward-thinking role for leading their agencies. This is accomplished by not only helping the participant to become successful, but by assisting in leading his/her agency in a successful direction.
Course Topics and Areas of Study:
- Legal Issues in Law Enforcement
- Effective Risk Management Techniques
- Importance of Conducting Effective Internal Investigations
- Getting the Most Out of Employees
- Developing and Mentoring Others
- Dealing With the Political Environment
- Importance of Sound Performance Evaluations
- Leadership Styles and Law Enforcement
- Ethical Leadership in the 21st Century
- Managing Organizational Change
- Budgetary Techniques
- Understanding the Generational Differences
- Technology and Innovation
- The Value of Data: Collection, Storage, and Analysis
- Building Relationships to Enhance Quality of Life
- Putting It All Into Practice: The Neighborhood Enhancement Program
- Responding to an Officer Involved Shooting
- The Cincinnati Experience: DOJ Memorandum and Collaborative Agreement
- Traffic Stop Analysis: Racial Profiling
- What's Killing Our Officers?
- The Value of Marketing Your Department
- Effective Media Relations
- Strategic Planning and Employee Action Plans: Your Road to Success
Who Should Attend:
Enrollment is limited to full-time sworn police personnel in executive level positions and those aspiring to reach that level in policing.
Upcoming Training and Lodging:
If this course is not currently scheduled, it can be brought to your region by a co-hosting agency or through a contract. Contact Theresa Newton for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit the Register for Courses link in the toolbar or by clicking here.
What Our Graduates Are Saying:
"I have an array of training; however this training rates among the best that I have acquired..."
"This course enlightened my mindset referencing leading an agency, exceeded my expectations and should be mandatory for all law enforcement executives."
"A good course and a very good refresher for AOC and CODC grads."
"Thanks to Steve and Ken for a very informative and enlightening 5 days. The information I gleaned from the course rivals FBI-LEEDA and the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard. I especially enjoyed personal examples Steve and Ken shared. I would encourage others to attend this class."
"The course was worthwhile for several reasons: 1) networking 2) refresher for things leaders should be doing (re-charged batteries) 3) sharing of information and way other agencies do things."
"This was one of the best courses I have ever attended. It was taught on everyday life, not just theory. These were good examples of what really happen in departments."
"Course was a great opportunity to network. Ability to discuss current issues and how they've been handled in the past is invaluable."
"The lectures were excellent and the audio visual aids very effective."
" I thoroughly enjoyed this class. To take a week away from work, a class must be worthwhile. SPI was worth it! The class exercises were informative and fun. Getting to interact with such a diverse group of law enforcement executives was an amazing opportunity! Great class."
"The course was worthwhile as there were many facets of the successes and pitfalls of being a chief covered. The group interaction was invaluable as good discussions and ideas were stimulated by the instructors."