Experimental Psychology Ph.D.
Experimental Psychology PhD at UofL
The Experimental Psychology Ph.D. program at the University of Louisville is designed to prepare students for careers in both academic and non-academic settings.
- Our program is suitable for those who would like to pursue careers in higher education, non-profits, or industry.
- Our students are trained in core areas of psychology, research design and methods, data analysis, teaching, and oral and written communication, all of which makes our students highly employable in careers that involve psychological science, research and data analysis, and management.
- If you would like to learn about the various career paths that some of our alumni have taken, please visit our Alumni Positions page.
What makes our program special?
Students receive full funding for five years from the start!
- All students in good standing in the program receive an assistantship or other funding that provides tuition, health insurance, and a stipend of $23,000 per year (paid across 12 months) for five years.
- Diversity scholarships are available to qualified applicants from underrepresented groups through UofL and outside funding groups.
- Students in our program are also eligible for internal and external travel and research awards.
Our program is research-focused and flexible.
- Students can specialize in research in one or more of the following areas:
- Vision and Hearing
- Course requirements are kept light so students can focus on research.
- The curriculum can be adapted to meet the needs of each student.
We know that good mentoring is key to student success!
- Students work one-on-one with a research mentor throughout their time in the program.
- Students are also connected with peer mentors within the program from the start of their time with us.
- Mentors outside the program are also encouraged, and we will help you get connected.
Professional development is important to us!
- Professional development opportunities are provided within our department and across campus.
- Our program offers a weekly Research & Professional Development seminar that provides students the opportunity to develop their presentation skills and other professional skills in an informal, supportive environment.
- Our program offers a course specifically on research writing; the English Dept. and Graduate School offer a university-wide course on writing for graduate students open to our students; finally, the Writing Center offers Graduate Student Writing workshops and retreats that many of our students attend.
- The Graduate School's Professional Development PLAN events are an invaluable resource for on-campus workshops and professional development support.
We value Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion!
- Our program is committed to recruiting qualified students from diverse backgrounds and supporting their success through to their degrees and beyond. We highly encourage qualified students from underrepresented groups to apply to our program!
- We offer Application Fee Waivers for students applying from underrepresented groups in psychology. More information is on our Application Instructions site.
- The Graduate School offers diversity programming to provide additional support for applicants and students. Click here to see the Graduate School's Diversity Initiatives.
- The Minority Associate of Graduate Students (MAGS), the Cultural Center, the LGBT Center, the Women’s Center, the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) and the Office of Diversity & Equity along with many other student organizations have a strong presence on campus and provide additional support to help students succeed.
- UofL was ranked FIRST among 500+ public colleges and universities for meeting the needs of African-American students by the USC Race and Equity Center!
- UofL has received national awards for its support of the LGBTQ community, and Louisville again earned a perfect score from the Human Rights Campaign!
Louisville is a great place to live!
- Louisville is a fun, yet livable city with a below average cost of living!
- Louisville also has great food! It is the home of many great restaurants and boasts several stars from the Food Network and Bravo, including recent winner Darnell Ferguson @ of Super Chefs, and others.