These opportunities are not exhaustive. Please feel free to request an internship not listed below.
Seeks interns year round in the following areas: reporting, writing, research, proofreading, photojournalism. Louisville Magazine covers everything local - people, restaurants, trends, issues, and events. Interns will participate in editorial meetings and help brainstorm ideas for content. Scheduling is flexible, a typical schedule is 9:00AM - 1:00 PM, 3 days a week.
To apply for a Louisville Magazine internship send your CV/resume, and cover letter to Josh Moss (firstname.lastname@example.org)
* Louisville Magazine and Louisville.com are now offering joint internships. For more information and to apply contact Josh Moss (editor of Louisville Magazine) or Alexandra Winters (acting editor of louisville.com) - Phone 502-625-0100 X 40
Interns at Speilburg Literary Agency will initially be focusing on incoming submissions and requested manuscripts, reading them and providing feedback. As the internship progresses the duties will broaden to include the intern's special interests (areas include contract review, marketing & publicity, manuscript development, and writing pitches to publishers). The intern will meet with Alice Speilburg for 30 - 60 minutes once a week to discuss a publishing topic and review any recent work. Most work will be completed at home. Publishing topics that will be discussed include:
- Process behind a book deal
- Author's networking, publishing, and query letters
- Book trends, content acquisition and development
- Understanding advances, royalty statements, and contracts
- Importance of platform marketing
- Overview of publishing houses and their business models
- Start-ups and self-publishing
- Types of publishing
- Publishing departments, jobs, and how to get in the door
Contact Alice Speilburg at email@example.com
- Act as a product manager for 1 -2 books. This includes writing descriptive copy and an author bio for the book, writing a marketing plan, and implementing aspects of that plan.
- Assist marketing staff with implementing marketing plans for various books. This includes writing copy for advertisements, book jackets, email campaigns, press releases, and catalogs; proofreading copy; helping to implement social media campaigns; and offering input on the design/structure of ads and email campaigns.
- Attend and participate in our monthly Product Approval Group (PAG) meeting, where we consider new book proposals. The intern would have the opportunity to provide input into the discussion, conduct research into marketplace needs, and help the marking staff make recommendations for whether to publish the books or note.
- Attend and participate in our monthly Product Development Team (PDT) meetings, where we look at our publishing history and assess marketplace needs to determine the types of books and authors we should be pursuing.
- Attend and participate in twice-monthly marketing department meetings (one in conjunction with the retail staff, and one with the sales staff).
- Assist with mailings, data entry, and other administrative tasks as assigned.
Contact: Emily Kiefer - Marketing Manager. (502) 569-5811.