English 306: Business Writing
The focus of English 306 is recognizing and responding in writing to different rhetorical situations in the professional world. A student in English 306 should expect to create and revise documents that incorporate elements of critical thinking as well as demonstrate intellectual and professional standards of effective communication. A student in English 306 should expect to complete four-to-six projects.
By the end of English 306, students should demonstrate the ability to produce writing that:
- Appropriately responds to specific business writing situations with an understanding of context, purpose, and audience
- Reflects an analysis of workplace problems and proposes clear, precise, and innovative solutions for a specific audience
- Incorporates accurate and relevant evidence that supports well-reasoned solutions to workplace problems with a depth and breadth of significant, well-researched information
- Demonstrates the ability to consider co-workers' perspectives with intellectual fairness, empathy, and humility
- Adheres to professional standards and conventions of business communication genres such as letters, reports and resumes
- Indicates the perseverance to revise writing to achieve clarity, precision, and appropriate tone, considering multiple perspectives and sensitivity to cultural differences
- Incorporates a knowledge of document design, including the implementation of various principles of format, layout, and design of professional visual/verbal documents that meet multiple needs
- Reflects a control of the editing process, including the production of documents which exhibit concise language, appropriate format, proper sentence structure, and standardized grammar.