Learn more about how you will be classified at UofL.



The initial determination of residency status is made by the institution during the admission process, and is based on information available in the admission record. A review of the determination of residency status may be requested by the student, the institution, or the Council on Postsecondary Education.

The residency status of a student is determined according to the Residency Regulation, 13 KAR 2:045, Determination of Residency Status for Admission and Tuition Assessment Purposes [the link is:] at state-supported institutions of higher education in the state of Kentucky.

The domicile and residency of a dependent person, as defined in Section 5 of the Residency Regulation, and pursuant to Section 6 is that of the parent(s). The domicile and residency of an independent person or an independent married person is determined by provisions set forth in Section 10 of the Residency Regulation.


Residents of select counties in Indiana are eligible for Indiana Reciprocity. Student who live in those counties pay the Resident tuition rates.You can apply for Indiana Reciprocity through the Registrar's Office

Participating counties:


Military Personnel

If you, your spouse, or parent (if dependent) are currently stationed in Kentucky on military active duty for purposes other than education, please  submit a copy of the military orders, lease or deed showing your Kentucky address and a military dependent identification card.

If you are a Kentucky resident inducted into the military from the state of Kentucky and have been recently discharged and you return to Kentucky within six months of the date of discharge, please attach a copy of your military discharge papers (DD-214), a copy of your State of Legal Residence Certificate (DD-2058) verifying Kentucky has been your home of record, and a copy of your lease or deed showing your Kentucky address.




All Other 48 States


If you are a resident of a state other than Kentucky or one of the Indiana Reciprocity counties, you are considered a Non-Resident. For more information or questions about residency, please email Stephanie Reibert or call 502.852.3350 in the Office of the Registrar. *Pursuant to Section 12 of 13 KAR 2:045, a student is responsible for questioning their residency determination in a timely manner. For a copy of the Residency Regulation, 13 KAR 2:045, important guidelines regarding the appeal process, the appeal packet, and deadlines to submit an appeal, please visit the Residency website at

Some links read to PDFs. Download Adobe Acrobat to read and access PDFs.