This position is responsible for providing front-desk reception and general office support to the Department of Housing and Residence Life.
- Serving as the first line of communication for the Department by providing front-desk reception to callers and in-person visitors;
- Identifying key features of each hall and community (traditional/suite/apartment);
- Extensive use of Residential Management Systems (RMS) to answer questions from applicants and residents, as well as for auditing of assignments;
- Giving tours of the model room;
- General office support, including making calls, updating directories, sorting incoming mail and assembly of outgoing mail, key pick-up, filing, making copies, sending faxes, creating spreadsheets, auditing of room assignments for errors, running errands, and other duties not otherwise specified;
- Attending 2-3 training meetings per semester.
Office Assistants can expect to gain experience in the following:
- Developing specific skills necessary to provide quality customer service;
- Learning attention to detail;
- Familiarity with Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA);
- Proficiency in general office duties such as answering a 4-line switchboard, forwarding calls to the appropriate staff member, checking and forwarding voice mail, creating follow-up forms for issues that need further research, making copies, and sending faxes;
- Demonstrating appropriate dress and interpersonal relations in an office environment;
- Developing an understanding of responsibilities associated with a job commitment;
- Enhancing time-management skills in regards to scheduling shifts, attending training meetings, and completing assigned tasks;
- Developing appreciation for working with a team.
The successful Office Assistant will be able to:
- Provide accurate information about housing policies and procedures to callers and visitors;
- Perform basic clerical functions (answering phones, filing, copying, etc.);
- Be punctual and call a supervisor in the event of late-arrival or absence;
- Work effectively with a team.