Accelerated BA / MA
This accelerated program is perfect for the excellent student who is primed for a career in the health sciences or professional ethics and wants to investigate critical moral and methodological questions to evaluate healthcare institutions and practices.
To this end, you may take 9 hours of graduate (600-level) classes while you are an undergrad, and apply those hours to your BA in Philosophy. Then, you need only 24 hours of additional graduate coursework to complete the MA in Applied Philosophy with Concentration in Health Care Ethics.
The guidelines for this accelerated BA/MA track are as follows:
- Apply for the accelerated program no later than the end of your junior year.
- Your GPA -- both overall and in the major -- must be at least 3.35.
- The graduate application to the Applied Philosophy - Health Care Ethics MA program is still required.
- Up to 9 hours of graduate credit may be applied to the BA.
- Students in any Philosophy BA track are eligible.
- All other requirements remain the same.
Sample Curriculum for Accelerated BA in Philosophy (assuming the Bioethics track) / MA in Applied Philosophy - Health Care Ethics:
BA-only courses (24 hours = 8 courses)
PHIL 301 & 303
PHIL 311, 412, or 512
PHIL 341 WR or 356 WR
PHIL 502 capstone
Double-counted credits (9 hours = 3 courses)
MA-only courses (24 hours = 8 courses)
BETH 636 OR LAW 980