Why study philosophy?
Click the above link for an excellent web resource on the value of the Philosophy major for career readiness, employment prospects, and other benefits, as well as reflections on the intrinsic value of the study of Philosophy.
What is Philosophy
Philosophy is methodical inquiry into the nature, purpose, meaning, and value of human life, action, and institutions. The UofL Philosophy Department has particular strength in applied philosophical inquiry, where the tools of Philosophy inform and are informed by the arts and humanities, the natural and social sciences, and community-engaged research.
Because the study of Philosophy develops high-level analytical and communications skills, many different types of employers are interested in hiring philosophy majors. In addition to preparing students for professional schools and graduate study, the major provides a foundation for careers in fields such as medicine, business, teaching, civil service, and law. The University Career Center provides access to the "What Can I Do with this Major?" tool, which may help you envision career paths with a Philosophy major or minor. Also check out these Career Resources from the American Philosophical Association.
Articles on the Value of a Philosophy Degree
- "Why 'worthless' humanities degrees may set you up for life," BBC
- "Philosophy--What's the Use?," New York Times
- "How to Get a Job With a Philosophy Degree," New York Times
- “ Where the Smart Kids Are, ” New York Times
- “In a New Generation of College Students, Many Opt for the Examined Life,” New York Times
- "The Earning Power of Philosophy Majors," The Atlantic
- "Be Employable, Study Philosophy," Salon
- " I think, therefore I earn ," The Guardian
- "An Open letter to Marco Rubio (and Other Deriders of the Humanities" From a Fellow Cuban-American," Huffington Post
- "The Unexpected Way Philosophy Majors are Changing the World of Business," Huffington Post
- "That 'Useless' Liberal Arts Degree Has Become Tech's Hottest Ticket," Forbes
- "Surprise: Humanities Degrees Provide Great Return on Investment," Forbes
- " A Liberal Arts Degree Is More Valuable Than Learning Any Trade ," Forbes
- "Why We Need Philosophers Engaged in Public Life," National Public Radio
- "How Philosophy Makes You a Better Leader," Harvard Business Review
- "Nine Famous Execs Who Majored in Philosophy," Business Insider
- "Best Majors for GRE Scores in 2013: Philosophy Dominates ," Physics Central
- "Philosophers Find the Degree Pays Off in Life and in Work," New York Times