As a student at UofL, you have free access to resources and appointments through the University Career Center. During your time at the university, we recommend you take advantage of the Cardinal Career Compass. This resource is designed to be used as a checklist to prepare your for your career after graduation. While this list encompasses four steps designed around four years at UofL, you can use it at any stage of your education and ensure all four steps are complete by graduation.
Cardinal Career Compass
Steps to point you in the right direction on your journey from college to career.
Throughout Each Year
- Create/update your resume or CV.
- Create/update your LinkedIn and Cardinal Careers profiles.
- Meet with your Career Coach regularly.
- Attend University Career Center workshops, career fairs, and events.
Step 1: Explore Your Options
- Take a career assessment.
- Complete your Cardinal Careers profile.
- Take a look at “What Can I Do With This Major.”
- Get experience!
- Shadow a professional.
- Have a headshot taken.
Step 2: Find Your Fit
- Declare your major.
- Learn how to write a cover letter.
- Conduct an informational interview.
- Stay engaged on- and off-campus.
Step 3: Chart Your Course
- Create your online portfolio or website.
- Thinking about graduate school? Start the process now.
- Begin studying for your entrance exam.
- Complete a practice interview.
- Complete an internship, co-op, or practicum.
- Continue expanding your network. Read for your future—and fun.
Step 4: Discover Your Destination
- Join professional associations.
- Start building your professional wardrobe.
- Take entrance exams required for graduate or professional programs.
- Prepare all other application materials.
- Ask for letters of recommendation.
- Learn about the job market.
- Begin your job search early!