Research Funds and Forms
Policy on Department Research Funds
Faculty may use yearly allotted research funding for expenses in the following categories:
- Travel expenses shall be defined as the transportation, housing, registration, and per diem expenditures involved in 1) conference/seminar attendance and participation, 2) visits to archives and research libraries, and 3) out-of-area fieldwork.
- Beginning with the 2014-2015 academic year, faculty will be permitted to rollover unused travel funds for a maximum of two additional cycles (thus, unused funds from 2014-2015 may be used up through 2016-2017). Travel funds left unspent at the end of that period will revert to the department.
- Research materials include books, document reproductions, database subscriptions, and software.
- Faculty may receive reimbursements only for single-item purchases between $50.00 and $500.00.
- A Research Materials Reimbursement Form must be submitted with all reimbursement requests.
- Reimbursements are permitted only for materials needed for on-going research projects.
- Reimbursement requests must be accompanied by a receipt or other proof payment.
- According to university policy, items ordered via mail, phone, or internet must be delivered to a department address. Reimbursement requests for ordered items must include proof of delivery address.
- Faculty may request reimbursement for database subscriptions only if no university or department subscription exists. Faculty must reapply for subscription reimbursements on a yearly basis. Any costs incurred by a failure to cancel a subscription at the end of the reimbursement period will be borne by the faculty member.
Exceptional Costs Associated with Research or Publication
- Exceptional costs include indexing and/or transcription services, image permissions, and subventions.
- Faculty may request reimbursement for exceptional costs only after demonstrating that other sources of university funding have been exhausted.
- An Exceptional Costs Reimbursement Formmust be submitted with all reimbursement requests.
Faculty are bound by university policy regarding the appropriate use of funds. Faculty are responsible for preserving appropriate documentation and producing upon request in case of an audit.
All reimbursements must be approved by the department chair. The department chair retains the right to refuse reimbursement if requests fail to conform to any of the above policies.
If faculty have questions regarding the propriety of specific expenses, they should consult the department chair and/or the department UBM. Final discretion on all reimbursement decisions lies with the chair.