DSW - ONLINE Doctor of Social Work
The 100% ONLINE Doctor of Social Work (DSW) program within the Kent School of Social Work and Family Science will educate master-degreed social workers to become future practitioner-scholars in teaching and social service leadership. The overall goal of the DSW program is to provide advanced education, training, and mentoring to social workers with master's degrees who want to become teaching faculty in social work departments/schools and/or leaders managing public or private social service organizations. This program addresses the academic and social service workforce's need for competent and well-trained social work professionals.
Our Program's Mission
- To educate students on models of social service leadership and teaching and learning
- To train students to analyze and improve models of social service leadership and teaching and learning
- To prepare students to implement social service leadership knowledge and skills in practice
- To prepare students to apply teaching skills and learning strategies in instruction
- To educate students to ethically practice in leadership and teaching positions
- To use various modes of scientific inquiry to critically evaluate the practices of social service leadership and teaching and learning
About the DSW Program
- Geared towards master degreed social workers who wish to become teaching faculty in departments/schools of social work and/or leaders managing public or private social service organizations.
- 100% online; using both synchronous and asynchronous models
- 44 hours, Part-time program for the working professional. 2 courses each semester over 6 semesters, 1 course each in the 7th and 8th semesters for a total of 3 years. Two courses are offered sequentially each semester (fall, spring, and summer). Each online course is 8 weeks in duration.
- No GRE Required
- Capstone project for final evaluation
Currently, DSW and Ph.D. programs are not accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). In June of 2020, CSWE approved accreditation standards for the DSW degree which is currently being piloted. The Kent School of Social Work and Family Science DSW program has adopted CSWE’s Accreditation Standards for Professional Practice Doctoral Programs in Social Work. For information about the standards and the current pilot study, please visit the Council on Social Work Education Website.