Event Planning and Promotion
Define Your Audience
The first thing to ask yourself is, "is my event really for the public?" Just because it is “open to the public” does not mean it is a public‐friendly event. These questions will help you determine your audience and what venues would give them the best exposure:
- Does the subject matter have a wide appeal or is it intended for a narrow network of people with specific interests?
- What are my time constraints? Is this a daytime or evening event? Weekday or weekend?
- Does the subject matter relate to events or themes in the news?
- What on-campus offices, programs and departments with similar disciplines might help me promote this event? (If so, forward them the info and ask them for their help promoting it.)
- Are there community organizations that might be interested? (If so, be sure to share the info with administrators of those organizations.)
A&S has purchased a Zoom account for our event planners to use for EXTERNAL EVENTS ONLY. If you're interested in using Zoom for your next external event, please contact Lindsey Ronay for details.
Coordinate the Registration Process
If you would like to accept online registrations for your event, there are many free options for building a registration form that will store a database of registrants and automatically send you an email when someone has registered. These are just a few of the recommended tools:
Evite - free, easy-to-use tool for setting up electronic registration.
Microsoft forms - as a UofL employee, you have access to the Microsoft Office 365 suite of products, which includes a form builder. Simply login with your UofL account to get started.
Plone forms - if you have a Plone-based website, a form can be integrated into it by using the built-in form tools. This is required if you will plan to accept payments by credit card. For help with this type of form, contact A&S Website Coordinator, Jason Seitz.
- Alumni events - if this is an alumni-related event, you may be able to have a registration form built and managed by UofL Alumni Relations. Contact Alumni Relations Assistant Director of Alumni Relations, Jessi Watts, for details.
Promote Your Event
- Share with A&S faculty and staff via the Monday Memo
- Share with A&S student listserv by contacting in A&S Advising
- Share with all UofL students through the SGA weekly newsletter
- UofL Events Calendar. For questions about the calendar and how to post, check out the FAQ page. You can also contact or phone at (502) 852-8025 if you have questions.
- Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram your social media channels, or with the College of A&S on
- Ask other faculty to share the event info with their contacts and networks
Checkout Event Equipment
The A&S Dean's Office stores many of the things you may need to conduct your event, including tables, tablecloths, sign stands, lecturns, name tag printer, and many other items. These items are available to people in the College of Arts & Sciences to checkout and use.