Advice regarding withdrawing from a course

Advice regarding withdrawing from a course

The last day to withdraw (without academic penalty) from
a Summer, 2022 TERM I course is May 19, 2022; June 21 for a TERM II course; and July 27 for a TERM III course.

If you are considering withdrawing from a course
  be mindful of the potential academic and/or financial effects of doing so – and consult the course instructor, your academic advisor, and/or Financial Aid advisor before withdrawing. 

  • Students who have made a genuine effort to learn course material, have participated in class activities, and have met course requirement deadlines with thoughtfully constructed submissions but are still struggling in the course should talk with their instructor about their performance, possible strategies for improvement, and whether a passing (or needed) grade is still potentially achievable. 
  • Students should also discuss with their major academic advisor (for sociology majors, that would be me) about the effect of withdrawing from a particular course on their progress toward degree completion.
  • Students should also consult their Financial Aid advisor about the effect of withdrawing from a course on their financial aid eligibility (e.g. satisfactory academic progress, etc.)

If you withdraw from any course through May 19 (for Term I), June 21 (for Term II), or July 27 (for Term III)  you may do so without approval from your instructor (or advisor) by using the registration link in ULink.  Once withdrawn from the course, the course(s) will remain on your transcript with a “W” in the grade column.  (NOTE that students who never attend/participate in class or submit course requirements (or stop attending/participating or submitting assignments) and who do not formally withdraw from the course will be assigned a grade of “F” for the course.)

If you attempt to withdraw from any course after May 19 (for Term I), June 21 (for Term II), or July 27 (for Term III)  you will be required to submit a petition to the College of Arts & Sciences for a “late withdrawal.”  The petition must be accompanied by an “instructor remarks” form completed by the instructor of the course from which you are requesting the withdrawal.  (NOTE that not all petitions for a late withdrawal are approved.)