- Monitor the ProCard web site for any changes to the program's policies and procedures.
- Keep the card secure at all times. The University of Louisville ProCard is to be protected by the same safeguards that are applied to the security of a personal credit card. Because all work spaces are not equipped in the same fashion, it is left to the discretion of each cardholder to determine where the most secure place would be depending on the specific nature of their responsibilities and the constraints of their physical work space.
- Do not make a photocopy of the front or back of your card.
- Do not write the full 16 digit card number or other card security information (CCV code, name on card, expiration date, etc.) on any form to fax and/or email, for ordering purposes or otherwise. If a vendor is requesting this, contact them by phone to provide the number verbally.
- Complete the Transaction Summary Log (TSL) monthly. This process is mandatory.
- Ensure the Employee Usage Agreement is signed by any employee, other than the cardholder, who uses a ProCard.
- Complete the Sign In/Out Log if the card is given to someone else for a purchase. The cardholder/responsible party is responsible for recording the name, date taken, date returned, purpose of the transaction, vendor (if known) and a signature from the faculty/staff member utilizing the card.
- Retain original, itemized receipts, transaction log sheets, and PNC Bank statements for a period of 3 years. (Refer to the Controller's Office Retention of Records Policy for the archival period associated with grants and contracts.)
- Verify all transactions on the PNC monthly statement. Disputed charges must be reported to the ProCard Office and PNC immediately.
- Complete the ProCard Receipt Form when no receipt is available.
Policy for Missing Receipt: When an original, itemized receipt is lost or otherwise unavailable and all measures to obtain a copy have been exhausted, the ProCard Receipt Form should be completed. It must be signed by the cardholder/responsible party and his/her supervisor. This form should be retained with all other receipts, bank statements, and the transaction summary log in the monthly ProCard reconciliation file. The ProCard Receipt Form should be used on rare occasions and may not be used on a routine basis. Excessive use of the ProCard Receipt Form may result in the revocation of your ProCard.
- Ensure receipt of materials and services. Contact the vendor to resolve any delivery problems, discrepancies and damaged goods claims. When a shipment has to be split due to back order, each ProCard charge must be recorded separately on the Transaction Summary Log.
Cardholder Verification - Bank Statements and Transaction Summary Logs
Each cardholder will receive a detailed statement from PNC Bank for each card that had transaction activity during the billing cycle. (A statement will not be generated for a card with no activity.) This statement will list the transactions that PNC Bank has transmitted to the University for the month and should match your records. A verification of the PNC statement to actual charges should be performed by the 15th of the following month. In more detail:
- Regardless of card activity, a TSL must be completed and signed by the relevant parties each month. This is to ensure the cardholder, reconciler, and approver are reviewing/validating the transactions on a monthly basis; it also facilitates the monthly liaison certification process.
- Throughout the monthly billing cycle, the cardholder must record transaction activity, including the business purpose, on the TSL as purchases are made. This includes any item(s) returned and any credits issued.
- Transactions occurring after the 21st of the month will not appear on your statement. These items should be carried forward to the next month on your TSL.
- Reconcile all monthly ProCard documentation consisting of the PNC bank statement, TSL, and original itemized receipts. This review must be completed by the 15th of the month following the end of the billing cycle.
- Sign and date the Transaction Summary Log confirming: (1) a reconciliation was performed, and (2) all purchases are legitimate business expenses.
If the cardholder is not executing his/her responsibilities as stated and required in the policy and procedures, it could lead to audit findings. The severity of these findings could lead to revoking the use of the ProCard.
*Please Note: The cardholder is also referred to as the “Reviewer”. This role only has viewing access in PeopleSoft. This person will only have the privilege of viewing transaction activity for verification purposes. They will not be able to make any changes. The reviewer is required to successfully complete the Blackboard test and must score 100%. The cardholder can be the reconciler on their account, but never the approver.