Fuel Card Program - WEX
Effective July 1, 2019, The University of Louisville will be utilizing the state’s contract with WEX to provide a fuel program for University-owned vehicles. WEX is accepted at 95% of U.S. fuel stations. Fuel cards provide a quick and convenient way for University drivers to purchase fuel at competitive rates. Departments shall be expected to follow the established guidelines.
Fuel Card Policy- See Policy Library
- Fuel Card Responsibilities
- Fueling Locations
- Using your Fuel Card
- Vehicle Coordinator Responsibilities
- Driver Responsibilities
- How to Obtain a Fuel Card/PIN
- Vehicle Maintenance Agreements
- Contact Information
To search WEX accepted fueling locations, visit the WEX Fleet Card Locations site
To search fuel pricing at WEX accepted locations, visit the WEX Fuel Price Map Site
Or, locate a fueling site in another city or state:
- Go to https://www.wexinc.com/solutions/fleet-cards/wex-fleet-fuel-card-locations/
- Search options include by state, city, county, metro address, zip code or route
- Further filter results by fuel type, driver comforts, site facilities, etc.
- Swipe card at the pump
- Enter vehicle's odometer (mileage) reading
- Enter personal PIN number
- Pump away!
- Save your receipt
- A fuel card must be used to re-fuel university-owned vehicles; a ProCard cannot be used.
- Only one fuel card can be assigned to a vehicle.
- A vehicle coordinator must be assigned for each department. This person must review the fuel card policies and sign an agreement form.
- Fuel cards must be restricted to the type of fuel product the vehicle requires (e.g. gasoline or diesel).
- A separate card can be obtained for small non-licensed vehicles or tools that would normally not have a fuel card assigned.
- Ensure a timely monthly reconciliation of each card (comparing receipts with the weekly reports) assigned to your department.
- Maintain all receipts and weekly reports for three years.
- Complete the new card and/or new driver PIN request form(s) and send them via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. These forms are to be used to request additional and/or replacement cards and to create or delete PIN numbers. The vehicle coordinator will be required to sign for the card at the time of pickup. If the vehicle coordinator cannot be present at the time of pickup, a request must be made in writing to the ProCard Office, email@example.com.
- Immediately cancel PIN numbers for drivers who no longer have a need to fuel a vehicle (i.e. termination/resignation, transfer to another department, change in job responsibilities, etc.)
- Immediately cancel cards that are lost/stolen or those that are assigned to vehicles that are no longer in service.
- Periodically monitor odometer readings to ensure the appropriate mileage is being entered at the time of sale.
- Report any potential misuse to ProCard Office immediately. The fuel card is not to be used for personal vehicles or for non-business purposes. Using the fuel card for any purpose other than official business will be considered theft of UofL property.
- If a vehicle is sold or surplused, destroy the fuel card and send the ProCard Office a Fuel Card Certificate of Destruction.
- Report lost or stolen cards immediately.
- Periodically reviews the fuel card policies, procedures and responsibilities to ensure all drivers are aware of the policies.
Driver Responsibilities (see also using your fuel card)
- Use your assigned unique 4 digit PIN number when purchasing fuel.
- Request a receipt at time of sale and provide it to the vehicle coordinator for reconciliation.
The Vehicle Coordinator will complete the new card and/or new driver request form(s) and send them via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. These forms are to be used to request additional and/or replacement cards and to create or delete PIN numbers.
The ProCard Office will email PIN number(s) to the vehicle coordinator.
New cards should arrive within 5-7 business days. PIN number additions and deletions will be completed within 1-2 business days.
We have contracted with the following companies for vehicle maintenance:
- Downtown Ford Inc., 809 S. 5th Street, Contract # IB-37-10-A
- Ken Towery Auto, All Locations, Contract # IB-37-10-B
- All-State Ford, 1357 Gardiner Lane, Contract # IB-37-10-C
- UofL Card Services: (502) 852-9058, 8:30am - 4:30pm, M-F
- WEX: (800) 492-0669, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year