Rank 1

Rank Programs for Certified Teachers

Rank I programs are planned graduate level programs designed for Kentucky teachers seeking rank change for salary purposes. By state regulation, Rank I status is sixty (60) semester hours of approved graduate credit including a Master's degree.

Kentucky teachers who have earned a Master’s degree, and who are seeking the most flexible Rank 1 program option, may want to consider a Rank 1 in their area of certification: Art, Elementary, Health, Middle Grades, Music, Physical Education, Secondary, or Special Education.

With this option, individuals may transfer up to 15 graduate credit hours from another accredited institution, and there is no time limit on the age of course work. The 12 credit hours of mandatory course requirements may be completed through on-line or in-person courses. In addition, endorsement courses can be embedded within the requirements. For more information, or a transcript evaluation of your progress toward Rank I, please contact Betty Hampton, Education Advising and Student Services.

The College of Education and Human Development also offers a variety of degree and certification programs which include Rank 1 as below. Please select a program to find out more about the admission and curriculum requirements of that program:


Rank I programs in Art, Elementary, Health, Middle Grades, Music, Physical Education, Secondary, or Special Education require one course in each of the following categories. An "Area of Emphasis" and electives comprise the remaining 18 credit hours.

Inquiry (3 credit hours)

  • EDAP 639, Education Research in P-12 Setting or approved substitution
  • ELFH 601 Applied Statistics


Leadership (3 credit hours)

  • EDAP 624, Curriculum Theory
  • EDAP 637, Using Assessment to Improve Student Achievement
  • EDAP 677, Developing Collaborative Groups, Coaching and Mentoring

Diversity (3 credit hours)

  • EDAP 521, Teaching English Learners
  • EDAP 638, Instructional Strategies for Diverse Learners
  • EDAP 642, Literacy Learning and Cultural Differences
  • EDTP 503, Developing Cross Cultural Competence

Action (3 credit hours)

  • EDAP 681, Teacher Leadership in Practice (or capstone course equivalent)

Admissions Requirements

Kentucky teachers interested in pursuing a Rank 1 program in their certification area will apply as Graduate, Non-degree seeking students to the University of Louisville. Please complete the graduate application on-line at: http://louisville.edu/graduate/futurestudents/apply-materials/application. On page 5 of the electronic application, there are several “Advanced Practitioner Rank 1' programs from which to choose and they are listed in alphabetical order.

This program is open to all eligible students regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age.

Admission requirements include the following credentials:

  • Official transcripts with a GPA of 2.75 in the Bachelor's degree and a GPA of 3.0 in the Master's degree.

    Please have transcripts sent to:
    School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies
    University of Louisville
    Louisville, KY 40292

    If transcripts are sent electronically,
    please have them sent to the following e-mail: gradadm @ louisville.edu

  • *Note: Candidates who earned a baccalaureate (and/or advanced) degree outside the U.S. and whose native language is not English must submit official TOEFL scores that meet minimum criteria, and must submit an evaluated transcript from WES (World Education Services) or ECE (Educational Credential Evaluators).

Contact Us

General questions about Rank 1 programs may be directed to:
Betty Hampton
Director, Graduate Student Services
Education Advising and Student Services

General Information

For general information on financial aid resources, please visit the University of Louisville's Student Financial Aid Office web site. The College of Education and Human Development has its own web page dedicated to financial aid that contains some extra information not listed here.

Please be aware that because the Rank I program is a Non-degree program and does not lead to a degree, individuals may not be eligible for federal, state or local financial aid. .

College of Education and Human Development (CEHD) Scholarship

The CEHD has a long history of offering scholarships to prospective and current students pursuing an education degree program. The CEHD provides over $225,000 annually and selects recipients three times a year. Scholarship selection is competitive and applies to tuition only. Apply online for a CEHD Scholarship.

Supervising and Resource Teachers

In recognition of valuable service to the preparation of teachers and the need for all teachers to have continual professional growth, a supervising teacher or a resource teacher for teacher interns may, with prior approval of the course-offering institution, take a maximum of six (6) credit hours per term at any public postsecondary institution and pay no tuition. The postsecondary institution shall waive the tuition up to a maximum of six (6) credit hours.

For more information: http://louisville.edu/financialaid/tuition-waivers, and select "Tuition Waiver for Supervising and Resource Teachers" pdf on the left side of the page.

Eligibility: Credit hours earned are calculated as follows (benefit is based on the duration of the role rather than the number of student teachers):
--Full supervisor: 7 - 8 weeks = 3 credit hours 14 - 15 weeks = 6 credit hours
--KTIP Resource Teachers: 15 weeks = 6 credit hours

Students may exercise the tuition waiver option up to twelve months following the assignment. Tuition benefits are paid directly to the University of Louisville. Tuition benefits cannot be paid to any other institutions, regardless of consortium, study abroad, and/or other programs for which tuition is not billed to the University.

1. If I move from the state of Kentucky, will my Rank I credit hours be recognized in other states?
No. The Rank I program is recognized only in the state of Kentucky. The credit hours earned while enrolled in the Rank I program will not transfer to another state for salary rank change purposes. The number of credit hours that may be transferred to an out-of-state institution may be limited as well.

2. I have been informed that I cannot receive financial aid while enrolled in a Rank I program. How can I obtain financial aid and complete the requirements for Rank I pay status?
Since a Rank I program is a Non-degree program and does not lead to a degree, federal regulations will not allow students enrolled in a Rank I program to obtain financial aid.
However, if you are enrolled in a degree program, you may be able to obtain financial aid. For example, you may complete the Master of Education (M.Ed.) program or the Education Specialist (Ed.S.) program (for Educational Administration) and also the requirements for Rank I pay status at the same time. Check with the Financial Aid Office to verify your specific status with regard to obtaining financial aid while enrolled in a second Master's degree program.

3. Is it possible to add an additional certification to my teaching license while enrolled in a Rank I program?
The Rank I program is fairly flexible, so depending on the certification you would like to add to your license, it may be possible to include additional certification in the Rank I program. Please consult your faculty advisor for options.

4. Can Rank I pay status be achieved through programs other than those in the Teaching and Learning Department?
Yes, the Educational and Counseling and Psychology Department offers the Master of Education in Counseling and Personnel Services with School Counseling certification. Rank I pay status can be achieved through this program.
Also, the Educational Leadership, Foundations and Human Resource Education Department offers the Education Specialist degree in Educational Administration with Principalship, Supervisor, Director of Special Education, or Superintendent certification. Rank I pay status can be achieved through this program as well.

5. How many hours can be transferred from a Rank I program to a Master's degree program?
Only nine (9) hours taken in Non-degree status can be transferred to a Master's degree program.