Learn more about the CEHD's Tuition Reduction Initiative that can be applied to many of the endorsements below!

Teaching Endorsements

As a teacher, would you like to enhance your marketability and add variety to your teaching repertoire?

The departments in teaching and learning offer a full complement of certification endorsements and extensions designed to broaden your expertise and knowledge base, while adding additional certifications to your teaching license.

Endorsements include graduate courses that may be counted toward a Masters degree or Rank I program.

Extensions include both undergraduate and graduate courses. Undergraduate courses cannot be used to fulfill requirements for a Masters degree or a Rank I program. If you are currently teaching with a Kentucky professional license, you may qualify for the Highly Qualified Option offered by the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB). You would not be required to complete an extension through the University if you meet the qualifications. For more information, please visit http://epsb.ky.gov/certification/tchq.asp.

How to Apply

If you will be pursuing an Endorsement along with the Master of Education in Teaching and Learning, the Master of Education in Literacy, or a Rank I program, please review the "How to Apply" tabs at those webpages for more information.

Kentucky certified teachers may apply as non-degree seeking students for the stand-alone endorsement program by submitting the following:

Candidates who earned a baccalaureate (and/or advanced) degree outside the U.S., and whose native language is not English, must submit official TOEFL scores that meet minimum criteria, and must submit an evaluated transcript from WES (World Education Services) or ECE (Educational Credential Evaluators).

This program is open to all eligible candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age.

Upon admission to the program, candidates will be assigned to a faculty advisor and will work collaboratively with that advisor to develop a curriculum plan.

Contact Us

For information about admission, please contact Betty Hampton in Education Advising and Student Services.

General Information

For general information on financial aid resources, please visit the University of Louisville's Student Financial Aid Office web site. The College of Education and Human Development has its own web page dedicated to financial aid that contains additional information not listed here.

Note! Please be aware that students enrolled as a Non-degree seeking student are not eligible for financial aid.

College of Education and Human Development (CEHD) Scholarship

The CEHD has a long history of offering scholarships to prospective and current students pursuing an education degree program. The CEHD provides over $225,000 annually and selects recipients three times a year. Scholarship selection is competitive and applies to tuition only. Apply online for a CEHD Scholarship.

Supervising and Resource Teachers

In recognition of valuable service to the preparation of teachers and the need for all teachers to have continual professional growth, a supervising teacher or a resource teacher for teacher interns may, with prior approval of the course-offering institution, take a maximum of six (6) credit hours per term at any public postsecondary institution and pay no tuition. The postsecondary institution shall waive the tuition up to a maximum of six (6) credit hours.

For more information: Tuition Waiver for Supervising and Resource Teachers
Return the form to the Student Financial Aid Office at U of L.

  1. Are the Endorsements Primary through 12th Grade?

    Yes. All of the Endorsements may be taught across the curriculum (P-12).

  2. What is the difference between the Classroom Reading Endorsement and the Literacy Specialist Endorsement?

    The Classroom Reading Endorsement is for teachers who would like to be better equipped to teach reading in their own classrooms.
    The Literacy Specialist Endorsement is designed for teachers who wish to be literacy specialists across their district.

  3. Will I need to pass a Praxis Test in order to add an Endorsement to my teaching license?

    Yes. Each Endorsement requires passing Praxis scores. To select the correct Praxis test, please visit the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board.