UofL University Housing makes it our mission to promote a safe, convenient, inclusive and healthy living-learning environment in all of our residence halls. We focus on providing opportunities in our halls which engage students and encourage their success here on campus. This includes making sure that all of our residents feel welcomed, valued, safe, and respected in our halls. In order to accommodate the preferences of our diverse student population, we are pleased to offer gender-inclusive housing options. We enjoy working with students of diverse gender identities and specific gender-related housing needs to ensure that they feel safe, supported, and included in our halls.
Gender-Inclusive Housing Options
The following residence halls offer gender-inclusive housing:
How To Apply for Gender Inclusive Housing
To apply for Gender Inclusive Housing, simply follow these easy steps:
- Fill out the general housing application through our online portal.
- In the "About You" section of the application, please share any pertinent information related to your gender identity or expression in the provided box. This helps us understand your housing preferences and ensure we can accommodate your needs effectively.
- Under the section titled “Gender Inclusive Housing”, indicate your interest in Gender Inclusive Housing.
- Ensure your application is 100% complete, with any required cosignatures completed and application fees paid. You will receive an email with the subject, “UofL University Housing [term] Application Status” when your application is processed and marked complete.
- Coordinate with your desired roommates to ensure everyone is on the same page.
Each person in your roommate group must email firstname.lastname@example.org from your UofL email address with the following information:
- Full Name
- Student ID number
- A statement confirming that you have checked the Gender Inclusive Housing box on the Housing Application.
- List of desired roommates (full, legal names and student ID numbers included)
- Once you and your roommates have completed the above, our team will be in contact with you for next steps.
If you have been approved for Gender Inclusive Housing, you will be required to choose your space at the date/time you are sent via email. Gender Inclusive Housing is based on availability.
If you are looking to create a gender inclusive housing roommate group, the process above must be completed at least one week prior to selecting a space.
For any questions or further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We're here to support you every step of the way!
What is gender-inclusive housing?
Students can voluntarily apply for gender-inclusive housing. Gender inclusive housing allows two or more students to choose to share a multiple-occupancy bedroom, suite, or apartment regardless of sex, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation.
What contributed to the creation of gender-inclusive housing on campus?
As we strive to create a welcoming, inclusive, and safe residential experience, offering gender-inclusive housing that both accommodates and respects the complexities of gender identity. We believe that gender-inclusive housing creates a more welcoming environment for all students and demonstrates our commitment to our mission.
If I choose to be assigned to a gender-inclusive housing option, what would the bathroom set-up look like?
All bathrooms in our suite-style halls, apartment-style halls, and our new traditional style Belknap Village North and Belknap Village South are private and lockable. Here are some more specifics:
In Kurz and Community Park, there are both standard double and deluxe double rooms. In standard double rooms, you and your roommate would share a bathroom unit with two roommates in the adjacent suite. The bathroom unit contains a shower and toilet, while sinks are located in each individual suite. Bathroom doors are lockable on both sides, accessible from both suites, and intended for one-person use at a time.
Several different room types are available in Louisville Hall. Bathroom privacy varies by room type, although all bathroom units are private in the sense that only you or your suitemates would access the bathroom, which is intended for one-person use at a time. For example, a single room would contain a bathroom only for the resident living in that room. On the other hand, double would mean that both suitemates share a bathroom unit. All bathrooms contain a sink, shower, and toilet. Bathroom doors are lockable from the inside.
Billy Minardi offers two-bedroom, two-bathroom suites. Each bathroom is a private bathroom located within the bedroom, intended for one-person use at a time. Each bathroom contains a sink, shower, and toilet. Both bedroom and bathroom doors are lockable.
Several different room types are available in these three apartment halls. Bathroom privacy varies by room type, although all bathroom units are private in the sense that only you or your apartment mates would access the bathroom, which is intended for one-person use at a time. For example, a single room would contain a bathroom only for the resident living in that room. On the other hand, double would mean that both apartment mates share a bathroom unit. Most* bathrooms contain a sink, shower, and toilet. All bathroom doors are lockable from the inside.
*In some Bettie Johnson apartments, sinks are located in a resident’s room instead of the bathroom.
This apartment hall contains only one room type, a four-bedroom by four-bathroom. This means that each resident accesses their own private bathroom unit connected to their individual room. All bathrooms contain a sink, shower, and toilet. Bathroom doors are lockable from the inside.
- Multiple private bathroom units are located throughout the hall.
- Bathroom units are lockable from the inside and are intended for one-person use at a time.
- All bathrooms contain a shower, sink, and toilet.
- Any resident may utilize any private bathroom unit throughout the hall.
If I have already moved into a space for the semester but decide that I would like to move into a gender-inclusive housing option, what should I do?
At any point in the academic year when our room change request is available, you may submit a request to another available space on campus. For more specific questions or extenuating circumstances necessitating an immediate room change, students may email us at email@example.com.
Check out a list of helpful resources for LGBTQ+ students and their allies.
Check out these campus resources.