Senior Citizen Student

Learn about applying to and attending UofL as a senior citizen, 65 years or older.

The state of Kentucky offers a unique opportunity for senior citizens who are 65 years or older to take a select number of classes for free at any state-supported institution within the Commonwealth. Commonly known as the Donovan Fellowship, students interested in attending UofL can take classes that may count towards a degree or simply be for fun.


There are few requirements for this program that you must meet before you can take advantage of the program:

  • You must be 65 years or older on - or before - the first day of classes of the semester.
  • You must be a resident of Kentucky and be able to present a valid state photo ID (this does not cover Indiana reciprocity).
  • You must be admitted to UofL before you can start taking classes.

What should I consider before taking advantage of this program?

The first thing you may want to ask yourself is “am I prepared to go back to school?” Just like every other student, you will be asked to follow the class syllabus. Depending on your professor, this may require you to participate in classroom discussions and activities, complete assignments, sit for exams, and participate in group projects.

Additionally, you are asked to show up/sign in to class. As an auditing student, you are taking a seat in that classroom, and we ask that you respect your professor and classmates by attending class regularly. Obviously, there are unforeseen circumstances and events to consider, but we ask that you view your classes as a commitment.

I am interested and qualify. What do I need to do?

Here is a general overview of the steps you will need to take in order to register for classes here at UofL. We recommend you look at the additional links on this page for more detailed information on each of these steps as well.

  1. Apply to UofL.
  2. Once admitted, set up your online student account and UofL email.
  3. Register for classes.  
  4. Remove your tuition charges.
  5. Purchase a parking permit/apply for handicapped parking (if interested).
  6. Pick up your Cardinal Card.
  7. Purchase books (if needed).
  8. Attend classes. 

As you can see, this is an involved process that does require time, so please plan ahead. If you are unsure when to start this process or would like to speak with someone more about this program, please contact our office at 502-852-0166 or 

You can also book an in-person or phone appointment with our admissions counselor for adult students.