Request for Disbursement Guidelines
The Request for Disbursement form should be used for the following types of transactions, where a Purchase Order would not provide any value to the transaction:
- Accreditation Fees
- Airline tickets for Groups (Not purchased through Egencia)
- Airline tickets for Individuals (With prior approval from the Controller's Office)
- Awards (May require that the individual be paid through the Payroll Department or through Financial Aid.)
- Clinical Trials
- Dry Ice
- Entertainment/Performers (KRS45A.050.2C)
- Freight/Shipping/Handling (If not on original PO or relating to closed PO)
- Guest Speakers (KRS45A.050.2C)
- Honorariums (May require that the individual be paid through the Payroll Department or through Financial Aid.)
- Instructional/Reference Books (KRS45A.050)
- License Permit Fees
- Medical Exam Fees
- Medical Service Payments
- Motor Coach/Bus Service for Groups
- Parking Fees
- Payment to Game Officials (May require that the individual be paid through the Payroll Department or through Financial Aid.)
- Proctoring/Note Taking (May require that the individual be paid through the Payroll Department or through Financial Aid.)
- Property Lease/Rental Payments
- Shared Revenue
- Stipends (May require that the individual be paid through the Payroll Department or through Financial Aid.)
- Tuition Payments (to other schools)
- Utilities (water, electric, gas,telephone [excluding cellular and pagers],and cable)
The following transactions must be paid directly to the supplier through the procurement process and cannot be submitted for reimbursement:
- All Equipment (including IT hardware, software & accessories)
- All Furniture
- All Printing Services
- Items on Contract
- Items in Stockroom
Purchases made by individuals that are eligible to be reimbursed will not include reimbursement of sales tax.
This list in not all-inclusive. Some requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
List of all commodities that must be submitted through the procurement process.
Requests for Disbursement must be documented by an original invoice, statements, and/or receipts.
If an original receipt is lost or unattainable, the employee will be required to complete, sign and attach to the copy of the receipt a "Certification of Non Original Receipt" form , which will certify the validity of the expense and requires the employee to reimburse the University in the event a duplicate payment is made.
Reimbursement of entertainment expenses must include documentation of who, what, when and where. This is an IRS requirement.
All employees are required to sign their requests for reimbursement, in addition to their supervisor. It is the responsibility of each department head to ensure expenses are properly approved.
A W-9 form and vendor survey are required for all new vendors, except refunds/reimbursements for individuals and employees. Please see the New Vendor Requirements Policy for further instructions.
PROCEDURE FOR EXCEPTIONS TO POLICY:
A request for exception to the Disbursement Guidelines must be submitted and approved by the Director of the Department of Purchasing prior to submission of the Request for Disbursement form to the Controllers Office. The request for exception must contain the following:
A full explanation and justification of what was purchased, including the amount and the purpose of the purchase;
Confirmation that the purchaser is aware of the Request for Disbursement Guidelines and will abide by the policy in the future; and
The document must be signed by the purchaser and approved by the appropriate Dean, Vice President, or Department Chair.
A copy of the approved request for exception document must be attached to the Request for Disbursement form when submitted to the Controllers Office.
Send Requests for Exception to:
Director of Purchasing
Service Complex, Belknap Campus