Types of Programs

All types of UofL-affiliated study abroad are supported and approved through the Office of Study Abroad. However, some programs are facilitated directly by our campus partners.

Click on the type of program below to learn more.

Third-Party Program Provider


Faculty-led Programs

Dual Degree Programs

Other For-Credit Experiences

Direct Enrollment

Third Party Providers

A third party provider is an educational organization that partners with US institutions and universities or programs overseas. Students pay a program fee through the Provider, and their tuition is waived at UofL.

They provide services such as:

  • On-site support
  • On-site orientations
  • Visa assistance
  • Airport pick-up
  • Excursions
  • Cultural activities
  • And more!

Programs are offered in 70+ destinations and are offered for a semester, summer, an academic year, or winter break.

Click here for a list of our third-party providers.

College of Business Student? Go to the College of Business' Global Study page or email .


In an exchange, students pay UofL tuition, and their tuition overseas is waived.

University-Wide Exchanges

These exchanges are housed in the Office of Study Abroad & International Travel and are open to students in all disciplines. Students interested in these exchanges should contact the Office of Study Abroad.

  1. Germany | Mainz | Year-long exchange
  2. France | Montpellier-Sister Cities | Year-long exchange

School/College-wide Exchanges

These are exchanges between one School or College at UofL (e.g. College of Business or School of Music) and a foreign university. These programs are good options for students looking for programs within a certain discipline.

Depending on the School or College, interested students may work directly with our campus partner in that unit.

  1.  A&S Exchanges (contact )
  2. College of Business Exchanges (Contact Elizabeth K. Liebschutz)
  3. School of Law Exchanges
  4. School of Music (Exchanges in Poland. Contact )

Faculty-led Programs

In this type of program, a UofL faculty members lead a course abroad. The layout of the course can vary: some faculty will design a course where the academic content is discussed before departure (embedded faculty-led), and some will design courses where the entire course load is abroad. These are short-term trips, usually 10-14 days long.

These programs will often be advertised by the faculty member, but these sites from our campus partners will have information on upcoming programs led by UofL faculty and staff. If you are interested in any of these programs, please contact the departments directly.

  1. A&S International
  2. College of Education and Human Development International Learning
  3. International Service Learning Programs

Dual Degree Programs

In a dual degree program, students take classes at a UofL and an institution overseas and receive a degree from both institutions. 

College of Business Dual Degree Programs

Other For-Credit Experiences

Speed School Co-ops

Engineering students enrolled in the Global Engineering Track are able to substitute one co-op rotation for an internship abroad. Students are also able to complete an international internship through some co-op employers. 

For more information, go to the Speed School Global Experiences page or contact .

Public Health Practice Experience

Public Health students are able to complete their practice experience abroad. Students should look in the list of existing Providers to see if there is Public Health site that will match with their interests before looking for other options. Contact for more information. 

Medical Rotations abroad

Medical students are able to complete rotations abroad. Interested students should work with and the Office of Study Abroad to ensure programs meet School of Medicine and International Center standards. 

School of Medicine Global Education Office

Volunteer Abroad

Volunteering Abroad page

Direct Enrollment

Students are encouraged to choose from the programs UofL is already partnered with. However, students who would like academic credit and/or financial aid for an outside program must complete the direct enrollment process. The program will have to be vetted by our office and your school to ensure that it is a valid, safe, and academically viable option.

For more information, go to the Direct Enrollment page.