Meet the Staff
Virginia Hosono, Ph.D.
Director, Office of Study Abroad and International Travel
- Describe your role in the office --- As director, for the Study Abroad and International Travel section of the International Center, I function as the director, coordinator and overseer of all aspects of the Study Abroad programs, including international exchange programs. I look to enhance and evaluate current and potential programs and facilitate in the development of new offerings. Additionally, I manage, coordinate and oversee all aspects of undergraduate, graduate, faculty, staff, and group international travel. I am responsible for overseeing student recruitment through the marketing of study abroad and exchange programs. I serve as the campus-wide liaison to ensure consistent procedural application across Units in regards to study abroad and international travel. Finally, I direct and manage the operations and strategic growth of the Office of Study Abroad and International Travel.
- Education --- PhD, Comparative Humanities: Lacanian Gaze, Semiotics, and the Enigmatic Bosch, UofL
- Hometown --- Chi-town!
- Countries traveled to --- Japan, Mexico, Canada, Greece
- One country you want to visit --- Iceland and Slovak Republic
- How do you prepare for international travel? --- When preparing to go to a new location I spend time researching local activities. I like Lonely Planet as a source for information. I also check out the State Department’s travel site to get information on passport validity, vaccinations, safety & security, and local laws & special circumstances. I look at local fashion, if women are wearing dresses, I probably won’t be wearing shorts! I will ask friends and colleagues if they have been to where I am going and ask for recommendations on what to eat, where to stay, and what to see.
- What do you enjoy doing when you aren’t working? --- I enjoy participating in local events and trying new food venues.
- What would you want to be famous for? --- Helping others reach their goals.
Elizabeth Liebschutz-Roettger, Ph.D.
Manager of Global Initiatives
- Describe your role in the office --- As part of the Study Abroad team, I oversee the international exchange/MOU agreements, International partner development, and opportunities for research and academic exchange among faculty. I work with the various Colleges across campus on their international partner development. In addition to working with our agreements, I work closely with our students participating on exchanges as well as students who live in our international residential Themed Community.
- Education --- PhD-Counseling and Personnel Services: University of Louisville; MS- Social and Philosophical Studies in Education: University of Kentucky; MA- Human Services and Counseling: DePaul University; BA-French: Lake Forest College
- Hometown --- Danville, KY
- Countries traveled to --- France, Spain, Germany, England, Ireland, Croatia, Hungary, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Norway, Poland, Italy, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Austria, Scotland, Canada, China, and 8 islands throughout the Caribbean.
- One country you want to visit --- Any? All? Thailand, South Korea, Japan, Costa Rica, and Australia
- How do you prepare for international travel? --- Lists, lists, and more lists. I think about what I need to take clothes-wise (and what might be over packing), I make lists of things I would like to do in various locations. I look up the best ways to travel to/from the airport/train stations in my destinations. As I often travel for work, I create a physical folder of documents I will need while I am traveling. I also like to look into the apps that might be helpful to download for my destinations such as a map of the public transportation.
- What do you enjoy doing when you aren’t working? --- My reality is, if I am not working, I am usually running around to my children's sports/school/STEM events or at home with my co-dependent dog. However, I read a lot (a lot!), often attend concerts, or enjoy musicals at Kentucky Center for the Arts. I love to cook and travel with my partner and kids.
What would you want to be famous for? ---I would be famous for either being an author or something involved with cinematography (movies or music videos). I think the latter is influenced from my semester abroad in Cannes and getting to experience the Cannes film festival first-hand.
Rebecca Dixon, M.A.
Describe your role in the office --- I facilitate the approval process for faculty/staff/non-study abroad student international travel and for faculty-led group trips.
Education --- M.A. in French, UofL & B.A. in English and in Foreign Languages & International Studies, Bellarmine University
Hometown --- Louisville, KY
Countries Rebecca has traveled to --- Canada, France, Ireland, England, Austria, Italy, Martinique, Ecuador
One country Rebecca wants to visit --- New Zealand
How do you prepare for international travel? --- I make lots of lists! (Then try to do all the things on the lists.)
What do you enjoy doing when you aren't working? --- I enjoy reading, writing, and hiking.
What would you want to be famous for? --- I’d rather never be famous! I’m way too introverted. At the same time, I wouldn’t say no to being a successful author.
Lexie Phillips, B.A.
- Describe your role in the office --- As the Graduate Assistant here in the Study Abroad office, I help in any way that I can. This includes: assisting with transcripts, data entry regarding past and upcoming trips abroad, and answering any other questions that may arise through phone or email.
- Education --- BA in Psychology, NC State University
- Hometown --- Charlotte, North Carolina
Countries Lexie has traveled to --- Bahamas, Canada, Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico
One country Lexie wants to visit --- Italy
- What made Lexie interested in being our GA? --- I have always dreamed of traveling the world. I had plans to study abroad in May of 2020, however, my trip was cancelled due to COVID-19. As a part of the Study Abroad team, I am broadening my knowledge of other countries which makes me even more excited to travel in the future.
What do you enjoy doing when you aren't working? --- I love going for runs, spending time with friends and family, and trying new food spots!
- What would you want to be famous for? --- Singing, unfortunately it’s not something I am good at, but wish I was!
- Education – Sociology major and Asian Studies minor, expected graduation May 2023
Hometown – Richmond, KY
Study Abroad Experience – Seoul, South Korea with TEAN/ISA, Summer 2022
Countries Angelina has traveled to – South Korea, Mexico, and Cayman Islands
One country Angelina wants to visit – All of them? Japan, Thailand, or Jordan
Advice for future study abroad students – Don't worry so much. There's always someone available to help you, no matter the issue at hand.
In my spare time, I enjoy – Walking, listening to music, practicing my languages, making lists, eating different foods.
- Fun Fact -- I'm obsessed with anything Halloween related!
- Education – Biology major and Spanish minor, expected graduation May 2024
- Hometown – Paducah, KY
Study Abroad Experience – Costa Rica with AIFS, Summer 2022
Countries Ian has traveled to – Costa Rica, Peru, Mexico
One country Ian wants to visit – Spain
Advice for future study abroad students – Travel with an open mind.
In my spare time, I enjoy – Playing soccer.
- Fun Fact -- I like to thrift shop.