Transfer In/Out Form

Instructions for Transferring to UofL as an F-1 Student

A student is eligible to transfer to another school or to the University of Louisville. To start the process of transferring in or out of the University, you must fill out the following document that applies to you to proceed with the transfer.

F1 Student:

    Your DSO will then work with you to choose a transfer release date, which is when the DSO at your transfer-in/out school takes responsibility for your SEVIS record. Several factors go into selecting this date:

    • Academic needs
    • Travel and employment plans
    • Projected start date of your new program

    Once your transfer release date arrives, the DSO at your previous school will not have access to your SEVIS record, and your new DSO can create a new Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status,” for you. It is important to get a new Form I-20 (signed by your new DSO and you) as soon as possible. To maintain your status, register for classes and contact your new DSO within 15 days of the program start date listed on your new Form I-20.

    If you have arrived in the United States but want to transfer to a new school before you begin classes at the school listed on your Form I-20, talk to the DSO at the school listed on that form. You need to inform the DSO that you have arrived in the United States and want to transfer immediately to another SEVP-certified school. You must show proof of acceptance to your new school. You must report to your new school and enroll in a full course of study within 30 days of arriving in the United States. Keep in mind that this approval is up to the discretion of the school in which you are transferring out of.