UofL University Housing wants to support all of our students who live on campus, in affiliated housing, and at other off-campus locations. We strive to provide our students thorough information regarding off-campus living options, resources, and programs geared toward maintaining a sense of Cardinal Connection even while living off campus.
To learn more about affiliated housing and off-campus resources, contact Mohammad Hussain, our Assistant Director of Affiliated Housing and Residential Student Conduct, at 502.854.3737 or email@example.com.
**Please note that all first-year students are required to live on campus during their first year at UofL. Second-year students are required to live on campus or in an affiliated property. Please review the First-Year Live-On Policy and the Second Year Residential Requirement prior to making any off-campus living arrangements.**
Here are a few resources to get started:
Independent Living Tips
- If you have signed a license agreement with University Housing for a given academic year, please do not sign an agreement with another property at the same time.
- The lease signed is for 12 months and each student will be held to the lease.
- Public landlord/tenant laws are in place and utilized by the community.
- Rules within the apartment are primarily concerned with safety and care of the community; social rules are primarily up to the residents.
- Roommate conflicts are left to the residents to work out, not the community staff.
- As a renting tenant, you have the expectation to be provided a safe and secure environment. We recommend you read more on our Tenant Rights and Responsibilities page.
- UofL students who live off campus may post sublease offers for free at offcampushousing.louisville.edu. You will need to create an account to view or post a sublet.
Check out these three sample budgets put together by current students that live at on of the affiliated properties. These are designed to give perspective residents and idea of what it may cost to live at an affiliated property based on 2020-21 rental rates.
Browse our "Moving Off Campus" guide.
Finding a compatible roommate and learning to live together in harmony can take some work. Below are some resources to help facilitate a harmonious environment.
- Establishing an understanding of how you will deal with certain situations can help resolve conflicts before they start.
- If you have lived on campus, then you probably already know someone you want to live with, if not Off Campus Housing provides a section for students to find other students as roommates.
- Rent.com provides a good guide for how to find a compatible roommate.
Will you being living off campus next year? This free 30-45 minute presentation covers all aspects of the apartment search and everything you will need to understand before signing a lease. In this workshop, you will learn the difference between an Affiliate and non-affiliated property, understand your rights as a tenant, and how to live off campus successfully. To schedule a Lease Signing Workshop for your residence hall, RSO, or office, please contact University Housing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Affiliated and Off Campus apartment listings for traditional students, non traditional students, faculty and staff.
- Get to know some of the terminology and what some of your rights are by reviewing our page on Tenant's Rights and Responsibilities.
- Want to sublet your apartment or looking for a sublet. You can sign into offcampushousing.louisville.edu to post your apartment or see what is available.
Some links on this page may lead to PDFs. To read PDFs, download Adobe Acrobat Reader.