Federal Direct Loan Exit Counseling

Who must complete Federal Direct Loan Exit Counseling?

All students who borrow a Federal Direct and/or Graduate/Professional PLUS loan are required to complete exit counseling each time they drop below half-time enrollment, graduate, or leave school.

How to complete the Exit Counseling requirement:


Navigate to the  Federal Student Aid website at https://studentaid.gov/


From the Menu, chooseLoan Repaymentand then “Loan Exit Counseling


Select "Log in to Start" next to your applicatble student type (undergraduate or graduate/Professional) and enter your U.S.Department of Education's Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) and password; click on "Log In"


Complete online exit counseling


Select University of Louisville as a school to notify of your exit counseling results


Please review your “Home” mailing address in ULink and update if necessary

Informational Video from Federal Student Aid "Repay Your Loans"

Online counseling will walk you through your rights and responsibilities as well as provide useful information regarding repayment options, debt management strategies, forbearance, deferment, cancellation options, consolidation, and tax benefits. You will also be able to update your contact information. Staff members will be available to answer questions you may have after completing exit counseling online.

The online exit counseling requirement will review:

  • Your student loan data
  • Entrance counseling
  • Your repayment options
  • Debt management strategies
  • Your rights and responsibilities
  • Forbearance, deferment, and cancellation options
  • Your personal and contact information
  • Available tax benefits
  • Effects of loan consolidation
  • The use of the Master Promissory Note

There are a variety of tax credits, deductions and savings plans available to taxpayers to assist with the expense of higher education. You should contact a tax advisor or visit www.irs.gov for detailed information on tax credits, deductions or other tax benefits for postsecondary students.

For information regarding loan repayment please visit our Loan Repayment page.
For information regarding loan consolidation please visit our Loan Consolidation page.

Support & Questions

You have options should you encounter any difficulty with making your student loan payments. Please contact your loan servicer, the U.S. Department of Education, or our office if you ever become or are on the verge of becoming delinquent in your student loan payments.  Also, please contact your lender anytime your address and/or contact information changes. Upon request, we will offer you support by coordinating conversations between you, your loan servicer, and the U.S. Department of Education.

If you have any questions, contact our office at (502) 852-5511 or send us email at.  A Federal Student Loan Ombudsman is available should you encounter any difficulty with your loan servicerThe Ombudsman’s office can be contacted toll-free at (877) 557-2575, or you may visit the website at https://studentaid.gov/feedback-ombudsman/disputes/prepare