Requesting IRS Documents by Mail

In some cases, you may not be able to request an IRS document online or over the phone.  If you have never filed taxes before, or are unable to create an account with the IRS, you may need to request some of your documents by mail. 

You can request the necessary documents by completing an IRS Form 4506-T and mailing the form to the IRS.  The 4506-T must be submitted to the IRS per the form instructions.  Do not submit this form to the UofL Student Financial Aid Office.  

Generally, the IRS should send you your documents within 5-10 business days. If you do not receive your document(s) from the IRS in a timely manner, please contact us for additional assistance.


1.    Provide your name, address, and other information at the top of the form.

  • Use the individual’s name and social security number as it appears on their social security card.

2.    Check the correct box to request the document(s) you need:

  • Box 6a—Tax Return Transcript
  • Box 7—Verification of Non-Filing Letter
  • Box 8—Wage and Income Transcript

3.    Indicate which tax year(s) for which you are requesting your documents.

  • Use 12/31/2021 if you are completing 2023-2024 Verification
  • Use 12/31/2020 if you are completing 2022-2023 Verification

4.    Sign and date the form.

5.    Follow the mailing instructions on Page 2.

After you receive the document(s) back from the IRS:

Please make a copy, write your student ID number on each page of the document, and submit it to UofL’s Student Financial Aid Office with your verification form via the ULink Financial Aid Document upload process or by mail, in person, or by fax. DO NOT email the verification form or additional required documentation.