Activation/Mobilization Checklist



❒ Notify the school and your professor/instructor that you have been activated and
present the appropriate administrator with a copy of your orders.

❒ Be sure to make contact either in person or via telephone. Leaving a voice mail or
email message is insufficient because further information may be required.

❒ Keep a record of names, dates, individuals, and a brief summary of your
conversations with the school and lending institution.

❒ Notify your school's VA counselor that you have been activated and present your
activation orders. Discuss the appropriate course of action with the VA Counselor.
Note: Do not withdraw from school until you have your orders.

❒ Contact your student loan lending institution. It is your responsibility to follow
through with any procedure the lender indicates.

❒ Call your Education Office. If you encounter any problems resolving your academic
status, request assistance from your Education coordinator.
Note: To ensure proper credit and to prevent any financial loss to the soldier, these
steps must be completed prior to departure.


❒ Contact the VA Certifying Official at your school to determine your eligibility for the Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP - Chapter 1607), the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), or the Active Duty GI Bill (MGIB-AD Chapter 30), and to establish reinstatement of your GI Bill benefits.
❒ To determine your eligibility for MGIB-AD Chapter 30, contact the ARNG GI Bill
Support Team ( or your state GI Bill Manager.

❒ Upon redeployment, if you plan to continue your education, contact your college
admissions professional to find out what steps you must take to re-enroll. If you
withdrew from school, you may be required to re-apply in order to get back into their
system. Contact your school's admissions counselor for application details and to
determine your class standing. Note: Depending on how long you were away from
school, this process may differ from that of a first time applicant.

❒ Re-establish contact with your academic advisor to discuss continuation of your
degree program and applicable credit for your military experience and training.

❒ Contact your state Education Services Officer and TA Manager to determine
eligibility for tuition assistance and state-funded education assistance (if applicable)

Published by Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOCGuard) First published June 2004. Updated January 2011.