How Credits Transfer

Community College and 4yr Transfer Credit

UofL generally accepts transfer credits earned at institutions of higher education accredited by the following institutional accreditors, which are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education:

  • Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
  • Middle States Association of College and Schools, Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc., Commission on Institutions of Higher Learning (NEASC-CHE)
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
  • Southern Association of College and Schools, Commission on Colleges (SACS-COC)
  • Western Association of Schools and College, Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities (WASC-SCUC)
  • Western Association of Schools and College, Accrediting Commission for Community Colleges and Junior Colleges (WASC-ACCJC)

To check of the status of an institution's accreditation please visit Department of Education.

Remedial, developmental and technical/vocational courses are not accepted as transfer credit.

The Office of Transfer and Adult Services generally determines the transferability of completed course work at the 100-200 level and for the purposes of general education. Upper level coursework, 300-400 level, is sent to the appropriate academic unit for review and transfer equivalency. The "Transfer Credit Practices" report published by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) will be the reference used for the evaluation of such credits.

International Transfer Credit

Applicants who have attended institutions outside the United States may be required to submit their academic records to the World Educational Services or Educational Credential Evaluators for general evaluation. All academic credentials not in English must be accompanied with a notarized verbatim English translation in addition to official transcripts. All academic credentials should be mailed directly to the Office of Admissions. Due to limited information associated with WES and ECE evaluations we strongly suggest that applicants obtain translated syllabi for possible submission of transfer credit.

Military Transfer Credit

In alignment with American Council on Education (ACE) transfer credit guidelines, we support the application of transfer and military credit for military and veteran students. UoL may grant credit for military course completion after review of each applicant's military service experience. The American Council on Education's (ACE) "Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services" will be used to evaluate military experience. UofL grants credit for Military educational courses. To transfer your educational courses, we required submission of a Joint Services Transcript (JST) or Community College of the Air Force transcript. Military credits are awarded on a "pass" (no letter grade) basis. We do not limit the total number of credits which can be obtained through military service experience, as long as they are all degree applicable.


  • UofL uses the semester hour unit of credit and a 4.0 grading scale. Plus and minus grades will be recorded as the letter grade only.
  • Transfer applicants should note that regardless of the number of transfer hours the University may accept, all candidates for a bachelor’s degree must complete 30 of the last 36 hours of their program at UofL.
  • A minimum grade of D- is required on all courses transferred to UofL. Some colleges and departments may require a higher grade in order for the course to satisfy degree requirements.
  • Grade point averages (GPA's) from other institutions do not transfer to UofL. When students begin at UofL, a new GPA is established after the first semester of classes. However, all grades, all courses and all previously attended institutions are included and counted in the admission process.