Senior Citizen FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I take graduate courses?

  • Yes! You will need to work with our Graduate Admissions Office. Please feel free to each out to them at 502.852.6495 or email their service account at

Am I only allowed to choose classes from a selected list?

  • No, you are free to take any class offered as long as you meet the pre-requisites or receive permission from the department.

I live close to Shelby Hurst campus, what classes do you offer there?

  • Very few, if any at all. Shelby Hurst is mainly designated for research, so you can anticipate that any on-campus courses will be on the main Belknap campus.

With this program, I do not pay anything, is that correct?

  • Not exactly. UofL will cover 6 credit hours a semester for in-person or online courses; You are also responsible for all class-specific fees (for example: lab, tech, activity). Lastly, books are not provided by the university and you will be asked to rent/purchase them on your own. While you are not required to purchase a parking permit, if you do choose to purchase one, please be aware of this additional cost.

I am a legal permanent resident of Kentucky, am I still eligible?

  • Yes, as long as you are classified as a resident of Kentucky and can provide a valid Kentucky photo ID, you are eligible.

I just moved here, when will I be classified as a resident?

  • We require that you live in Kentucky one calendar year without seeking higher education to be classified a resident. For more detailed information, please see our Registrar’s page regarding residency.

I know that UofL has an Indiana Tuition Reciprocity program, am I eligible if I live in one of those listed counties?

  • Sadly no, you would not be eligible.

I am an alumnus/alumna of UofL, do I have to reapply?

  • Yes, though which application you need to complete depends on when you last attended classes. If you last attended classes more than 2 years ago, we will need you to complete a new undergraduate application; if you last attended classes less than 2 years ago, we will need you to complete at Request to Reenroll.

I am an alumnus/alumna of UofL, do I have to send my transcripts?

  • No, our Registrar’s Office will pull your transcript after we receive your application.

I am an alumnus/alumna of UofL, will I have the same ID number?

  • Yes, we should be able to match your new application to your existing student ID number. If you went under a maiden name at the time of your attendance, please make sure to mark that on your application.

I attended UofL a while ago, but never finished my degree. Do I have to resubmit my transcripts?

  • Potentially, yes. Depending on when you last attended classes here, our Registrar’s Office may not have your transcripts on hand anymore. Before you request them again, please check with our office first to see if by chance they are still available.

How do I request my transcripts?

  • If you are required to provide transcripts, you will want to reach out to all previous institutions attended and request that your transcript be sent electronically to our service account You may be able to streamline this process by using a third party such as National Student Clearinghouse; if your school is not listed, please reach out to your previous school's Records Office directly for assistance.

How will I know when I am admitted?

  • You will receive a Certificate of Admit in the mail with your student ID number, user ID, and instructions on how to set up your student account.

Do you have the course catalog available by paper?

  • Unfortunately, no; however, please call our office for any questions about what classes are offered if you cannot navigate the online Schedule of Classes.

I do not have easy access to a computer, how can I register for classes?

  • Ekstrom library has computers available for public use with a photo ID, along with a staff that can assist you with registering. Our office would also be more than happy to help you register for classes.

A course I am interested in taking has pre-requisites, what do I need to do?

  • If you have already completed the pre-requisites, you will need to reach out to the department to ask for permission to register for the course. They may ask to see your transcript to show you have indeed complete the pre-requisites. If you have not completed the pre-requisites, we would encourage to you to take them here before you attempt your intended course.

I started as a non-degree student, but now I want to pursue a degree. What do I need to do?

  • You will need to let our office know so we can assist you through the process. You will be asked to reapply as a degree-seeking student and request all official transcripts be sent to our service account. We will review your previous work based on your intended major’s admissions requirements and once admitted, you will be required to complete orientation and academic advising.

I need information regarding tuition for my taxes, who should I contact?

  • We recommend you reach out to our Bursar’s Office for any tuition costs from previous years. They can be reached at 502-852-6503 or

I had to stop for a semester, but now I want to return. Why can I not register for classes?

  • All students who have a break in enrollment must complete a Request to Reenroll online through our Registrar's Office. Once you receive confirmation that you have been approved to reenroll, you will then have permission to register for the upcoming semester.

Am I going to be the only senior citizen in my classes?

  • Possibly, but don’t let that scare you away! We have over 100 senior citizens currently attending graduate/undergraduate courses on campus, so you are bound to find some other students your age, if not older.

Do you have any student groups for senior citizens?

  • The Donovan Scholars is an official Recognized Student Organization with the University of Louisville! For more information about this organization, the founder's contact information, and future meeting times, please email Brittney Hunt at