Transfer Credit Policy

UofL generally accepts all credits earned at regionally accredited institutions of higher education, with the exception of remedial and technical/vocational courses.

Regional accrediting agencies:

  • Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
  • Middle States Association of College and Schools, Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc., Commission on Institutions of Higher Learning (NEASC-CHE)
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
  • Southern Association of College and Schools, Commission on Colleges (SACS-COC)
  • Western Association of Schools and College, Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities (WASC-SCUC)
  • Western Association of Schools and College, Accrediting Commission for Community Colleges and Junior Colleges (WASC-ACCJC)

To check of the status of an institution's regional accreditation please visit AACRAO's Transfer Credit Practices

The "Transfer Credit Practices" report published by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) will be the reference used for the evaluation of such credits.

In alignment with American Council on Education (ACE) transfer credit guidelines, we support the application of transfer and military credit for military and veteran students. 

Credit from non-regionally accredited institutions may be considered for credit by petitioning for recognition of that credit.

Students transferring from an international institution are required to submit a World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluator (ECEevaluation of credit before equivalencies can be determined.

Transcript Evaluation

UofL uses the semester hour unit of credit and a 4.0 grading scale

Plus and minus grades will be recorded as the letter grade only.


Quarter Hour Conversion Chart:
Quarter Hours Semester Hours
1 1
2 1
3 2
4 3
5 3


Upon admission, UofL will complete a course-by-course evaluation of the student's transfer coursework as quickly as possible.

Students with AP or CLEP credit should submit their official score reports to the Office of Admission for evaluation.