Center welcomes McConnell Scholar Class of 2027
Louisville, Ky. (September 5, 2023) - The McConnell Center welcomes nine new students to the McConnell Scholars Program, one of the most prestigious undergraduate scholarship programs in the state.
“We are excited to get to work with these outstanding young Scholars,” said McConnell Center Director Dr. Gary Gregg. “They are already proving to be talented, engaged, and dedicated students and leaders.”
This year’s freshmen mark the 32nd class in the Center’s history and part of UofL’s Class of 2027.
The new McConnell Scholars are:
- Jacob Crowley (Bishop Brossart High, Butler)
- Tom Kurtz (Owensboro Catholic High, Owensboro)
- Riley Maddox (Notre Dame Academy, Erlanger)
- Emilia Perez (Central High, Louisville)
- Seth Pinson (Franklin-Simpson High, Franklin)
- Kara Beth Poe (Magoffin Co. High, Salyersville)
- Kathleen Price (Highlands High, Fort Thomas)
- Jillian Sarver (Elizabethtown High, Elizabethtown)
- Robel Schwarz (Williamsburg Independent, Williamsburg)
This year’s applicant pool jumped 9 percent over last year.
The McConnell Center has awarded more than $5.2 million in scholarships to 303 McConnell Scholars, provided professional military education to hundreds of U.S. Army leaders and conducted civic education programs for K-12 teachers and students across Kentucky. Its lectures, books, studies, conferences, and podcasts have garnered international attention, and the American Council of Trustees and Alumni has named the center “an oasis of excellence” in higher education.